Canon EOS-10D ISO 3200 sample

questions about practical use of Neat Image
taob

Canon EOS-10D ISO 3200 sample

Post by taob »

I had a chance to play with the new Canon 10D this morning, while putting my name on the waiting list (should be getting it in the next couple of days, woo!). While in the store, I took an ISO 3200 shot in raw format, and then used the embedded high-quality 3072x2048 JPEG (finally!) as a NeatImage test.

Here are two crops, one from a bright area and one from a dark:

Image Image

Image Image

The noise is quite bad in shadow areas, but surprisingly good in the brighter regions. Although NI gets rid of the worst of it, it still leaves behind noticeable chroma shifts in the shadows (the red and green patches you see in the second set of crops). Any hints on getting rid of those colour shifts? I tried checking off the "very low freq" box in the noise filter settings tab, but that didn't seem to help.

Anyone else want to try their hand at this? Original RAW file is here:

http://www.risc.org/Images/10D/0101-000039.crw
Caution: 8.5 megabyte file!
NeatImage Pro Plus 5.0 + dual Opteron 244 + Windows XP SP2 + FreeBSD 5.2
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I also tried to use very low freq box with the small sample above and it did help. Also, try to play with the noise levels and amount of filtration in color channels.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Thanks, I'll try it again when I have some more free time. Here is the extracted JPEG, for those who cannot work with the 10D raw file yet:

http://www.risc.org/Images/10D/0101-000039.jpg (2.1 MB)
spiritman

Jpeg?

Post by spiritman »

Why use Jpeg's when the D10 has the RAW option???
taob

Post by taob »

Because NeatImage works on JPEGs and TIFFs, not directly on raw files.
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

Thats not what the manual says......
taob

Post by taob »

Show me a page and paragraph reference in the manual. People have been asking for the ability to directly load raw format files, but it definitely is not a feature yet (unless they released 5.0 without telling me ;-)).
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

The only place I saw was on the bottem of page 54. Its says
"Q Is processing via Neat Image best done before or after any other processing (i.e. tonal/color correction)?
A Such operations as tonal/color correction are quite conservative from the standpoint of noise, i.e., they
do not significantly change the noise characteristics of the image. Therefore, filtering before or after
makes little difference – as long as the noise profile is built and applied at the same stage of image
processing. For example, don’t use a device noise profile built with an unprocessed (with the color
correction not yet applied) image to filter a processed image.
Some digital cameras apply some color correction internally. Other cameras allow access to
unprocessed RAW data. Neat Image is a generic filter, which can be applied in both cases. The only
requirement is to use profile that matches the device mode of the input image.
On the other hand, image sharpening applied to a noisy image makes it much noisier. It is best to apply
Neat Image filtration before sharpening. However, the sharpening and noise filters of Neat Image can
be used together because the sharpening is applied AFTER noise filtration.
taob

Post by taob »

Ah yes, that sentence is rather confusing. I think the phrase "in both cases" is referring to how you can use NeatImage with photos produced by cameras that do internal colour balance as well as with those that supply raw data. It isn't supposed to mean that NeatImage itself can read raw data directly. Maybe Vlad can jump in here and clarify, or get that part of the manual rewritten. :D
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It doesn't say Neat Image can open RAW files, does it? ;-)

Neat Image standalone can open TIFF, JPEG and BMP files, as described in Requirements, so it can work with TIFFs converted from RAW files. The plug-in can be used with RAW files as long as you can open them in an image editor.

Yes, the sentence could be rewritten but I think the main point of the whole paragraph (it is about applying Neat Image before/after other operations) is quite clear.

Vlad
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

Opppssss my mistake :oops: