Using NI with Lightroom

general questions about Neat Image
Wernerg

Using NI with Lightroom

Post by Wernerg »

I access NI through Lightroom with the "Edit In" function. LR creates an "edit" tif file and opens NI. When NI finishes, I have to manually remove the "_filtered" suffix that NI adds to the file name before saving so that Lightroom will automatically update the edited file. The NI's Preferences won't let me leave the suffix blank. This greatly reduces the usefulnes of batch editing in NI.

Instead I created an Auto Import directory in Lightroom and send the NI filtered files there, they are automatically imported into Lightroom, then I move them to the proper directory, then I have to delete the edit files that Lr sent to NI.

Do you have any suggestions for a better way to do this?

A simple change of allowing the suffix to be blanked out (with suitable warnings and disclaimers about protecting original files) would make NI work like any of the NIK plug-ins. That's all they do.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

NI will allow to make the suffix empty if you enable the option allowing to overwrite existing files. It is there, in the same tab in Preferences. This is documented in the user guide.

Thank you,
Vlad
OhPinchy

Post by OhPinchy »

Hi, I'm a novice Lightroom user and use it for editing the RAW files from my Sony NEX 7 camera and I'm trying to figure out how Neat Image could fit into my workflow and what version to buy (I'm guessing Windows standalone as I don't use Photoshop).

I generally import RAW files into my Lightroom catalog and convert them to DNG files during the import and also apply a lens profile correction preset during import. I then work on things like exposure, white balance, shadows, vibrance etc. I'll also do any cropping, spot removal, vignettes etc. and then I'll sharpen while outputting a high quality JPG file.

I have some images with a lot of noise where I think Neat Image would be a real benefit. How would I go about using Neat Image given this workflow?

From what I've seen from a quick read here and on CambridgeInColour.com, it looks like I would have to export a JPG or TIFF from Lightroom, then work on it NeatImage Standalone, and then import the JPG/TIFF back into Lightroom to do the output sharpening on it after the noise has been removed? Is that correct or am I (hopefully) missing something? If that's the way it works, so be it, I'd then only use it in exceptional cases as it would be a bit cumbersome but could still be very useful for problematic photos. Thanks for any pointers.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There is a section in the user guide of Neat Image v7 standalone, which explains how to set up and use Neat Image standalone as an external editor in LR.
Once set up that way, Neat Image can be invoked from the menu in LR to process the current image and then return the processed version back to LR as a new version of the image.

You would need either Home or Pro edition of Neat Image standalone to use like that (Demo is not sufficient to test the entire workflow).

Vlad
OhPinchy

Post by OhPinchy »

Thanks for the speedy reply, I'll buy at least a Home license, not sure if my workflow scenario would have any use for the Pro license (does the Home version have full quality)?

From my reading of that guide it seems you setup NI as an external editor in Lightroom; then I'm guessing you do pretty much all Lightroom editing except for sharpening; then you invoke the external NI editor which involves converting the RAW file to TIFF, sending it to NI, do the noise reduction in NI, saw the changes and then you're back into Lightroom. At that point, I think you're now working with a TIFF in Lightroom? I'd guess last edit in Lightroom would be sharpening while outputting, and I'd convert to JPG while outputting. Does that sound about right?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, full quality.

Yes, that is about right.

Vlad
OhPinchy

Post by OhPinchy »

Thanks for the confirmation. I went ahead and bought a Pro license as I wasn't really sure what I'd need in terms of 8/16-bit. The instructions in the guide were quite clear and I have it working well with Lightroom. I downloaded the Device Profile for the Sony NEX 7 that was shared by a user on here. I'm getting >80% for Match and Quality for most pics - does this sound ok or I do need to go to the hassle of creating my own device profile?

I'm seeing mild improvements in the images I process with the tool, but nothing dramatic, even with pics where there is a lot of noise due to low light and high ISO. I've run a few images through NI and then gone back to them in Lightroom and used the Luminance and Colour noise reduction tools in Lightroom and also apply sharpening (with high Masking to keep it to the edges mainly). I'm finding that is having more noticeable benefits than NeatImage so far. That said, I haven't adjusted the filter settings as I can't see where the Preview icon is (Standalone Windows) and was hoping for it to be quick and easy rather than requiring trial and error. Is there something I should be doing or trying that I'm not?

I also notice that the image on the input page in NeatImage looks very grainy until you zoom in and the colours look very different to Lightroom.

NeatImage looks like a really useful and impactful tool so thanks in advance for any pointers that will help me get the most out of it.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I recommend to start using NI without using a pre-built set of profiles but rather by building your own profiles for images you process. Please see this page for a reference workflow. This will most likely help you achieve better filtration too.

It is to be expected that the noise reduction is best seen at 100% zoom level, not at smaller levels where image is resized. The colors may be slightly different than in LR, that is normal too, it is only a matter of visualization method used in NI vs LR, that doesn't affect the end results, which will be right anyway.

Vlad
OhPinchy

Post by OhPinchy »

Thanks Vlad for the great support.

I opened a new image, selected Auto Profile, moved the box to what looked like the best spot and then used that and it gave me noticeably better results, thanks a lot. I'm delighted that I'm already up and running and seeing great results even though I'm relatively new to this stuff, thanks for the help.

Am I doing the right thing for fine-tuning? I select a second, smaller square (unless an equally big space is available) and then right click and select Fine Tune Using Selection. I notice that this tends to reduce the Quality reading (e.g. in a relatively poor image with grey clouds being the only flat space the initial auto profile gave 74% quality and I then fine tuned using a smaller square on some clothing and quality dropped to 61%).

When I got a profile for above 80% Quality, I then saved that profile. I'm guessing that the idea is that over time I keep saving profiles for every different ISO I use and then I can rely on Auto Match from then on? I'm guessing that though it includes shutter speed in the profile file name, the ISO 200 profile will be picked by Auto Match even if it was a different shutter speed but using that ISO as it's the closest match? Hopefully that'll be the last of my 20 questions and I'll be fully up and running then, thanks.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There is little point in doing automatic of manual fine-tuning after using Auto Profile, because Auto Profile already applies Auto Fine-Tune. Just use Auto Profile, that should be sufficient.

Saving profiles for future re-use is a good idea. And it is described in the user guide of Neat Image. Auto Match will then be able to select the most suitable profile based on many EXIF parameters (not just ISO and shutter speed) stored inside profile. The file name of the profile is not used in that process, it is just for better readability for when you load a profile manually.

Please see the user guide, at least browse through it at least once. This will save a lot of time.

Thank you,
Vlad