Canon 50D

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
brad624

Canon 50D

Post by brad624 »

Does anyone know where I can find a profile for a Canon 50d
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you don't find ready ones, it is quite easy to make your own profiles using this instruction. A more detailed instruction is available in this section of the user guide.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
liotier

Post by liotier »

Is anyone working on Neatimage noise profiles for the Canon Eos 50D ? Does the editor provide this sort of thing after a while, or are we expected to come up with it ? I have a small stack of 50D pictures waiting for processing, but I don't trust myself with the production of an optimal noise profile - so I'll be patient...
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Trust me, operating 50D is more complicated than building profiles. In building profiles, the most difficult part is shooting the calibration target anyway. The rest is pretty much automatic. Please check the user guide, you will find that you have to do basically three things: select the camera modes that you want to profile, shoot the target in these modes, and then feed the resulting images of the target to the Batch Profiler in Neat Image. The Batch Profiler does everything automatically and you get a ready to use set of profiles for the camera modes that you selected.

Vlad
beruberu

Post by beruberu »

NITeam wrote:Trust me, operating 50D is more complicated than building profiles. In building profiles, the most difficult part is shooting the calibration target anyway. The rest is pretty much automatic. Please check the user guide, you will find that you have to do basically three things: select the camera modes that you want to profile, shoot the target in these modes, and then feed the resulting images of the target to the Batch Profiler in Neat Image. The Batch Profiler does everything automatically and you get a ready to use set of profiles for the camera modes that you selected.

Vlad
Hello Vlad,
I never made noise profiles for my Canon 40D and Canon 350....
I have a question, should I do profiles for every Iso and speed of my camera?? waht about the lens you use?? They also give a certain amount of noise....
As I'm shooting mostly stars and annimals, I'm using a lot of different combinations of camera, iso, speed, and lens...

What is the best way to do??

Would it be really work better with profiles than Auto profiler??

Thanks for your help...

PS: any news about NI and Lightroom???
Best Greatings from Switzerland.
Phil
http://www.focusnature.ch
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Auto Profile is of course easier, but it doesn't always get enough areas for analysis (like if you shot a nebula without clear sky at all) and such situations using a pre-built set of profiles (additionally auto fine-tuned after loading to process an input image) is very useful.

I recommend at least to try building them once, this will give you a better understanding of the factors involved. The key factors are described in the user guide. In fact there is a whole step-by-step procedure described there. It explains what you are doing, so it helps better understand the camera parameters and wisely select the ones you want to account for in a profile set.

And when you have built a profile set, you get more freedom: you can always use Auto Profile and when it is unable to build an accurate profile (due to lack of flat featureless areas in specific image) you can use Auto Match (or load a pre-built profile manually) and additionally Auto Fine-Tune it aftewards for best results. So, you get the best of two profiling methods.

Kind regards,
Vlad

P.S. Regarding Lightroom, I heard no news about its SDK yet. What we are doing now is preparing a new product, new version of Neat Image, in fact two versions. When this is completed, we will check Lr again to see if there are any improvements on that end.
liotier

Post by liotier »

I have produced a set of 50 profiles today... I'm testing them at the moment... If the results turn out fine, I'll post them tonight.

I have produced one set with Highlight Tone Priority (ISO 200-3200) and one without (ISO 100-12800). Highlight Tone Priority is a sort of primitive HDR built into Canon cameras. It apparently acts as if the highlights were captured at a lower resolution (hence the sensitivity floor at ISO 200 instead of 100). I wonder if one set is enough instead of the two I produced. And I wonder if Neatimage knows about Highlight Tone Priority.
Last edited by liotier on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I guess the Hightlight Tone Priority option may encoded in the non-standard part of exif so Neat Image may be not able to automatically differentiate two types of profiles without your help. You can help it by dividing the profiles (and correspondingly images) into two sets, with and without Hightlight Tone Priority, and then select a folder with one of the sets as the profile matching folder in Neat Image options.

Vlad
liotier

Post by liotier »

NITeam wrote:I guess the Highlight Tone Priority option may encoded in the non-standard part of exif so Neat Image may be not able to automatically differentiate two types of profiles without your help. You can help it by dividing the profiles (and correspondingly images) into two sets, with and without Highlight Tone Priority, and then select a folder with one of the sets as the profile matching folder in Neat Image options.
I just took another look at the plain Exif data values ('exiv2 -p v IMG_7022.JPG') and found nothing looking like a hint about Highlight Tone Priority. So I guess that manual profile set selection is the only way. I use Highlight Tone Priority most of the time anyway, so I guess it won't be a problem.
liotier

Canon 50D Neatimage profile candidate

Post by liotier »

As hinted earlier, here is a Neatimage profile set for the Canon Eos 50D. Eager masses of 50D owners rejoice ! The package includes one set of profiles with Highlight Tone Priority (ISO 200-3200) and one without (ISO 100-12800).

This is my first attempt at building a profile set. I printed the calibration target with a laser color printer on A3 plain paper. I captured with the Canon Eos 50D and the Canon EF 24/1.4L. Lighting was almost entirely the proverbial north faced window, with at most 5% mixed artificial lighting thrown in. I used no flash - maybe a set of profiles with flash would be useful, but I don't know about that. I used the lens wide open when possible as this is the way I use it most of the time, but again I have no idea if this was the right way to do it.

I just finished processing about 300 images (mostly indoors with a mix of flash and ambient artificial lighting) and I found the results perfectly acceptable to me with the default "filter + sharpen" preset. But I may not be a sharp enough critic so give it a try yourself and tell me what you think !

The pictures won't be online for a few more days, but meanwhile you can play with the profiles. If I got them right, then profile generation is actually as easy as the Neatimage team wants to make it sound.
liotier

Post by liotier »

Three downloads so far by people other than search engines and me... No wonder we don't have much feedback... I thought this would have raised more interest. Maybe there aren't that many users of both 50D and Neatimage...
beruberu

Post by beruberu »

liotier wrote:Three downloads so far by people other than search engines and me... No wonder we don't have much feedback... I thought this would have raised more interest. Maybe there aren't that many users of both 50D and Neatimage...
hello

Do the same for the 40D....... Lol Thanks
Best Greatings from Switzerland.
Phil
http://www.focusnature.ch
http://astrosurf.com/skylover/
liotier

Post by liotier »

@NITeam : do you think those profiles are of a good quality ? I you believe so, you can put them on the profiles download page.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The profiles seems to be good. Please e-mail a description of this profile set (please make using the sample from the user guide) to the support at neatimage.com, the description is needed to correctly describe the profile set in the library.

Thank you very much,
Vlad
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

@Vlad...liotier asked in one of the first messages in this thread if the lens used makes a difference for the calibration image for the profile.

I would like to know that as well. I have no success using the existing profiles for 50D.