Very noisy input file....

general questions about Neat Image
Steen Heilesen

Very noisy input file....

Post by Steen Heilesen »

I have been using NI for many years in the Demo version.
I knew there was a limit in handling bigger files. When I imported a big 16 bit file or even a big jpg-file in the Demo it had a noisy look.
I have now bought the version 7 pro and found the same noisy look after input (the original file don’t look noisy).
However when I after using the noise profile look at the final result (open the file) the result is OK.
It makes it a little difficult to work with a noisy surface.
Is it a common issue?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Do you look at the image in lower than 100% zoom level? Please try to set it to 100% and compare. It may be just the way different viewers show the same image, one may be smoothing things out and make it less noisy than it is, and another may just show the data without any modifications. When you set the zoom level to 100% in Neat Image, you are looking at the actual data, as it is. It should look the same noisy in Neat Image and in other viewers.

Vlad
Steen Heilesen

Post by Steen Heilesen »

I have now tried (with several different photos) to toggle different zoom levels. They all show different level of noise. It seems that zoom level 25 and 50% before and after filtering are more clean (50% is more plastic). Level 33,3% is more noisy than 25 or 50%??
I import my files (full size) in TIF after editing in NX2. I can see that more sharpening and use of tonal contrast will have the noisy look in NI. Working with 100% zoom level will make it more difficult to select noisy areas. Still after filtering some areas are looking noisy.
I have opened the saved files in Windows picture viewer and also in Adobe Photoshop CS – the result is much different from NI - no noise.
When I used the Demo version I only used file sizes 800x600 when importing to NI. This will not affect the noise level.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Neat Image's internal viewer, when using the zoom level lower than 100%, may show the image in a different way than the PS viewer, because PS viewer applies smoothing to the image at lower zoom levels, while Neat Image shows the actual data without smoothing.

If you want to see the image the same way in both viewers, please see it at 100% zoom level.

You can select an area of interest using a lower zoom level and then zoom in to see it in 100%, which is anyway necessary to preview the details of noise reduction.

Thank you,
Vlad