CS5 hanging

general questions about Neat Image
gc27

CS5 hanging

Post by gc27 »

Can't seem to figure out what's going wrong...

I've been using (and loving) neat image for years with no problems, but now find that the plugin is causing CS5 to hang.

This is happening with the v6.2 64bit plugin as well as the 32bit version. Using the latest versions of Photoshop from Adobe. Normally everything appears to work fine until I try to view the original vs filtered window, or apply the noise reduction, then the program hangs on the NI plugin screen, and CS5 needs to be killed. But sometimes the plugin prevents CS5 from loading properly at all.

The problem does seem to be with NI rather than other plugins (I also use Nik Color Efex and Viveza), because when I manually remove the NI plugin, CS5 works OK.

I've tried deleting the preferences files, removing all other plugins, redownloading & installing the Neat Image plugins and reinstalling photoshop, but I still get the same problem.

Any ideas? I don't want to lose the use of neat image :)

Thanks
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Perhaps the problem is in the image(s)? They may for example have some corruption in metadata (EXIF) and that can cause problems. Please check that by processing an untouched JPEG saved by a digital camera and not resaved by any other software.

If you find a way to reliably reproduce a crash or freezing, please send a step by step instruction to support [at] neatimage.com. We will reproduce it and check what is causing the problem.

Thank you,
Vlad
gc27

Post by gc27 »

Thanks Vlad for your reply.

I tried with JPEGs straight out of the camera, but the problem persisted.

The freezing was not always happening at the same time - sometimes during NI analysis of the file, sometimes (normally) during the preview stage, and sometimes when 'Apply' is clicked.

But good news I think - I unticked 'Enable multiprocessor support' in the preferences, and Neat Image now seems to run successfully.

Not sure why that should be, as I've always had it enabled before, and have been using v6.2 for some time.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Do you run Bitdefender antivirus?

Vlad
gc27

Post by gc27 »

Ah, yes I do. Just did a forum search and saw there have been a couple of issues with bitdefender.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

You can add Neat Image (all its files including the copies of the plug-in inside PS) to the list of exceptions in Bitdefender and the problem should disappear. Or completely disable Bitdefender, but that may be too radical.

Vlad
gc27

Post by gc27 »

OK, Great - Thanks Vlad.