How make automatch select profile based on image size ?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
MRHAL

Post by MRHAL »

Hi,

New to this forum.

When using NI as a PS-plugin I use 2 passes of NI with different image sizes for special purpose processing.
I have created different profiles for the different image sizes by using calibration target in original size and resized size.

I have not been able to set up the auto-match feature of NI to automatically pick the right profile at different stages of my workflow.

What am I doing wrong ?
I use version NI 5.6 pro+

please advise

best regards

HAL
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Auto Match matches the EXIF data from the image against similar EXIF data from profiles. If you resize an image in Photoshop and its EXIF size-related records are not updated by Photoshop then the matching will still see the original unmodified size from the EXIF. It is necessary to update those records to make matching differentiate two sizes. It is Photoshop who should update those records.

It is still possible to build and use profiles using such images. You just have to either load these profiles manually or record them into actions and then play these actions.

BTW, v5.6 is outdated. I recommend to use the latest 6.0.

Vlad
MRHAL

Post by MRHAL »

Thank you for your response, but I am still having no success following your suggestions to record different actions.

I tried to record 2 different actions, but any selections inside NI does not seem to be recorded into the PS action.
In particular :
I tried to setup 2 different profile folders, one for the large image size and one for the small image size.
In the action I select the appropriate folder for auto-match to look in.
I also set up the filter settings differently for the 2 actions.

How would I get NI to know which action it is called from?

Please explain how it is meant to work.

Also regarding your comment about that PS should update exif records :
If I have different layers with different NI setup in each layer would this not confuse PS which layer setting sould be reflected in the exif ? The image does not even get saved during the workflow.

Would it not be easy for the NI-plugin to recognize the image format upon which it is being called ?

Regards

HAL
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please note that I only provided a diagnosis: it doesn't work because Photoshop doesn't update the EXIF data if the images. I am not sure how to resolve this problem at this point, perhaps we should ask Adobe to adjust Photoshop, but I am not sure they will do that.

Let me repeat, it is not currently possible to have Auto Match (in actions or interactively) differentiate profiles based on the size of the images that are resized by Photoshop because Photoshop doesn't update the relevant EXIF data during resizing.

Unfortunately I cannot devise a workaround from the side of Neat Image that would work automatically. You still can do switching between different profile sub-sets manually and then matching would work, but you have to manually modify the corresponding setting (Matching Folder) in Neat Image Options each time, and therefore this cannot work in a fully automated action.

Regarding recognizing the image format, I am not entirely sure what exactly you mean, but this will not help anyway, because matching is based on EXIF data (not on image format or something similar) and those data are simply not updated by Photoshop, so original image or resized image - their EXIFs look the same to NI, so no difference can be derived.

Still, you can do a simple thing: record one action with NI, which uses one fixed profile-for-full-image-size, and then another action with NI, which uses another fixed profile-for-resized-image-size. And then you can combine these two actions in one large action, which will run NI with one profile over the original image, then resize the image and run NI with another profile over the resized image. This will work but the profiles will be fixed, not selected from a set by Auto Match. Therefore you will need several such actions for different profiles (for example, for different ISO rates).

Or you can use Auto Profile in each instance of NI instead of using fixed profiles. Auto Profile will work for any size and will generate the right profile in each case. Of course there should be enough space for analysis in this case.

Hope this helps,
Vlad