Neat Image 5.8 Pro+ (PS CS3 Plug-in) - Tools/Options Problem

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
No1

Neat Image 5.8 Pro+ (PS CS3 Plug-in) - Tools/Options Problem

Post by No1 »

Greetings from Portugal.

The settings you have saved in <Options> only work the first time you open «Photoshop» and run |Filter/Neat Image/Reduce Noise|.
If you open another file (or the same one for a second time), «Neat Image» won't execute the "Options Settings".
If you leave and reenter «Photoshop» and run once more |Filter/Neat Image/Reduce Noise| everything works again as supposed - the "Option Settings" will be executed.
This only happens with the Plug-in application, the stand-alone program works fine!
I suppose this is a fixable bug... Or am I mssing something? :roll:
Thank you & Best Regards,
Pedro
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Could you give an example of some specific option that works this way please?

It is possible that the plug-in simply tries to do the same thing it did in the previous invokation in the same Photoshop session, which is a normal thing for all Photoshop plug-ins. In this sense, the defaults in NI Options are supposed to provide default behaviour for the very first invokation of the plug-in in a PS session. That is how PS plug-ins work.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
No1

Post by No1 »

Hello again and thank you for your "lightning fast" answer!
NITeam wrote:Could you give an example of some specific option that works this way please?
Ok...
A. You have set «Neat Image» in |Tools/Options/Defaults| = Auto Match Profile; Auto fine-tune profile; Default preset
B. You have set «Neat Image» in |Tools/Options/Matching| = Matching parameters priorities to match Imput Device, ISO Rate and Compression

1. You enter «Photoshop CS3» and open a (photo) file
2. You go to |Filter/Neat Image/Reduce Noise|
As supposed, the application will automatically search (and find) the matching profile, starts the noise routine, after which you click |Apply and Return| to finish the whole process and return to «Photoshop».
3. Now, without leaving «Photoshop» open another photo (file) and try to execute the same.
It will not work! Instead of following exactly the same steps - automatically search (and find) the matching profile and starting the noise routine - it applies exactly the same profile it used before, as if it was dealing with the same photo (file)... In fact I cannot understand why it doesn't apply the |Tools/Options| settings (described in A and B)!
Of course you can manually do CTRL+M (Open Best Matching Profile) and overcame the problem, but it's not, IMHO, the most logical (and pratical) way to do it, or in other words, it doesn't make much sense to have some settings which are only valid the first time you run the application; exiting and re-entering PS it's also not the very best solution...
It is possible that the plug-in simply tries to do the same thing it did in the previous invokation in the same Photoshop session, which is a normal thing for all Photoshop plug-ins. In this sense, the defaults in NI Options are supposed to provide default behaviour for the very first invokation of the plug-in in a PS session. That is how PS plug-ins work.
I'm sorry but that's not true for most of the Plug-ins I use in my «PS CS3»'s workflow... (PTLens, Noiseware Professional, Noise Ninja, etc. work the way I say. After all "they" are following the settings (and routine) you saved...)
Pedro
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I am now recalling something and I think I know what is causing the problem. The situation is somewhat more complicated than "it works there, it doesn't work there" but anyway, I guess I have a solution at least for now. I will e-mail you a version of Neat Image that resolves this issue.

Thank you,
Vlad

Update: I have tried to send it to your e-mail address but got the following reply: "552-The account is currently over quota". You may want to clean up some space or advise an alternative address.
No1

Post by No1 »

Hello once more and thank you so much for your quick reply.

I will wait for the new version. Do you recommend uninstalling the older version before installing the new one, as usual?

I have cleaned some of my Email quota. It's ok now.
Sorry for that! :oops:
Pedro
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Uninstalling is not necessary. Just close NI and PS, that should be enough.

I am re-sending the update now.

Vlad
No1

Post by No1 »

Dear Vlad,
Good afternoon from Lisbon and my respects.

Again thank you so much for your support - an amazing service, to say the least! It puts to shame many, many larger software houses... :D

As for the "new version", it works like a charm, except for the <Actions> buttons/options (PS Neat Image Plug-in), which now seem to be deactivated... If I may make a suggestion:

1-Either the <Actions> menu simply disappears... (In fact, it's more a less a duplicate of the <Tools/Options/Default> menu)
Or
2-It overwrites the "Tools Settings Procedures" the next time you open the plug-in:
2a) As long as you are in the same PS session (*)
Or
2b) Just the next time you open PS's |Filter/Neat Image/Reduce Noise|

(*) - This might be handy when recording several "PS own Actions"; of course, you could just change the <Tools/Options/Default>, record your "PS Actions" and restore the <Tools/Options/Default> back again.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for reading.
Pedro
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

No1 wrote:except for the <Actions> buttons/options (PS Neat Image Plug-in), which now seem to be deactivated...
Actually it works, but in a different way. It allows you to specify which method of obtaining a noise profile that should be recorded into the action (being recorded at this time). It may look like a dublicate of those settings in Options but they are used for different purposes. Options mainly help you adjust interactive use of the plug-in, Actions menu helps you record actions with Neat Image plug-in.

Thank you for the suggestions. We will consider these possibilies keeping in mind that the situation is in fact more complicated than it seems.

Vlad
No1

Post by No1 »

NITeam wrote:
No1 wrote:except for the <Actions> buttons/options (PS Neat Image Plug-in), which now seem to be deactivated...

Actually it works, but in a different way. It allows you to specify which method of obtaining a noise profile that should be recorded into the action (being recorded at this time). It may look like a dublicate of those settings in Options but they are used for different purposes. Options mainly help you adjust interactive use of the plug-in, Actions menu helps you record actions with Neat Image plug-in.
I wasn't aware of that... :oops: Yes, you are right! Guess I need to reformulate my "PS Actions". :roll:

Just one last question: When you choose an action in Neat Image's <Actions>, does the application follow what's inside |Tools/Options/Default/Default Device Noise Profile| - including for instance "Auto match profile + Auto fine-tune profile", if highlighted/chosen?
Pedro
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It does, when it is not being run from an action; it doesn't when it is.
It follows the action settings when run from an action. It follows the settings from the Options when it is just an interactive session.

It's a tricky issue, isn't it? :)

Vlad
Last edited by NITeam on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No1

Post by No1 »

NITeam wrote:It does, when it is not being run from an action; it doesn't when it is. It's a tricky issue, isn't it? :)
Vlad

Not anymore - now that I have all the answers! :D
Pedro