Batch 16-bit memory failures in Photoshop

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
excalpius

Batch 16-bit memory failures in Photoshop

Post by excalpius »

I'm using a photoshop action to degrain a sequence of cineon linear files in 16 bit color space and it crashes reliably around 1600 frames processed.

I have run the cineon files in and out of photoshop, saving as 16 bit tiff with unlimited frames, so I know this is unique to NeatImage (and the error messages are plugin related).

Exact pipeline is as follows.

16 bit cineon linear load into photoshop CS2 9.0.2 (2k film frames)
neatimage degrain using preset filter (not auto)
save out as 16 bit tiff

the workaround is that I break my sequences up into 1500 frame chunks, quitting and reloading photoshop in between. but since I am working with up to 200,000 frames, this is most unwieldy and inconvenient to say the least, hehe.

I am using the latest neatimage photoshop plugin and the bug repeatedly on multiple and varied intel and amd CPUs with memory ranges from 512mb to 2gb under Windows XP Pro (fully patched). I have also tried all manner of photoshop memory and cache settings, yet the plugin still fails to get memory after about 1600 frames in all cases.

btw, your software is absolutely phenomenal. bravo.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It seems Photoshop fails to provide free memory to the plug-in after processing that many images which indicates a memory management problem in Photoshop. Could you use the standalone NI to batch process those images? I recommend using its command line interface in this case. To learn more about the command line format start NI like this:
neatimage.exe /?

Also, have you already considered using Neat Video to process the video sequence? Neat Video additionally has a very good temporal filter which would make filtration even better.

Vlad
excalpius

Post by excalpius »

Thank you for the suggestions. I will explore these options.

However, if you are sure this is an Adobe issue (though photoshop seems to have no problems processing unlimited frames when I am not using Neat Image), please address it with them so they can patch their software to work correctly with your software. I had assumed this was a Neat Image issue since you have posts about these very same error messages on this forum for years now. :)

Unfortunately, I have to do other operations to these files within Photoshop (scale, crop, convert to 16 bit tiff, etc.) as well as the Neat Image filtering. I will explore virtual dub as an option for this.

However, under this scenario, I would have to run Photoshop in batch to create the 16 bit tiff files from the cineon files (since Neat Image can't load cineon), and then command line run Neat Image on the new tiff files saving over themselves (to save drive space). Then, I would have to run them through photoshop AGAIN to scale and crop (again saving over themselves), since ideally one wants to denoise the source images at native res, before doing any scaling.

So, in this workflow I now have three I/O chains with three processing passes with three times the overhead (three loads, three saves) :( , instead of just doing this all at once, in photoshop with a neat image plugin that plays nice with memory. :)

It does seem like two steps back...especially when one considers that I am processing hundreds of thousands of FILM resolution frames here. ;)

However, thanks to your tip, I was able to get the command line approach to work with the Spider render control software, so that made me VERY happy, as I no longer need to baby sit the 1500 frame segments.

So one big step forward. :)

Thanks.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, there were reports about lack of memory in Photoshop when NI plug-in was invoked. However, it is not exactly the same problem as that you experience when running an action in batch because NI doesn't have to open its GUI this way and memory requirements are lower.

Lets try to reproduce the effect. Could you send me one of your cineon frames along with the photoshop action you use? - I will create many clones of the frame and will try to process them in batch using the action. Once I get an error message, I can more precisely determine the cause of the problem. Right now it looks like Photoshop is not able to provide a memory block but it is not clear when NI asks for that block and whether we can do anything to reduce the load on Photoshop memory system.

Also, VirtualDub doesn't support 16-bit video data, so you may to try either Premiere Pro / Premiere Elements or After Effects. Both seem to be able to offer a suitable framework for your video processing workflow.

Best regards,
Vlad
excalpius

Post by excalpius »

Will do. Which email shall I send this to?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

For example the one in my profile.

Vlad