Filename truncation - Windows bug, workaround available

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
tvanderh

Filename truncation - Windows bug, workaround available

Post by tvanderh »

Minor nuisance (that will probably eventually bite me and cause me to incorrectly save a file):

I'm using Home (not Home+) version 5.4 of NeatImage.

I store my files on a (Samba) network drive and access them from WinXP SP2. My filenames are of the form "2006.02.18-18.56.15.80.jpg". If I open one of these files in the Job Filtration Editor, perform noise filtration (using the Ouput Image tab), and then select File->SaveOutputImage (or alternately, click on the Orange "save" disk), NeatImage will propose to save under filename "2006.02.18-18.56.15.jpg" instead of the correct "2006.02.18-18.56.15.80.jpg".

The problem doesn't seem specific to my filenames -- it seems to happen similarly for a file such as "junk.20.30.jpg", which becomes "junk.20.jpg" in the proposed filename.

Usually the "Save As" button proposes a filename that is the same as the original filename, so this seems like a bug, not a feature.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I have just tried to reproduce this effect using a file called "2006.02.18-18.56.15.80.jpg" placed on both local and network drive and NI did offer correct output file name (in my case it is "2006.02.18-18.56.15.80_ni.jpg".

Could you give me the full path to the image file on your system? I guess the trouble may start somewhere in the path.

Thank you,
Vlad
tvanderh

Post by tvanderh »

Don't bother with the network drive. That seems to be unnecessary since I can reproduce it on a local drive (now that I try it...).

If you have WinXP Home, try:

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> select "View" tab

Then ensure that there IS s a checkmark beside "Hide extensions for known file types".

It's probably not necessary, but after each change to the "Hide extensions for known file types" option, I fully closed all NeatImage windows are restarted NeatImage.

If I have the option enabled with a checkmark, then I can reproduce the problem (NeatImage proposes a filename such as "2004.07.03-19.04.30"). If I leave the option disabled (no checkmark in Control Panel), then NeatImage works properly and proposes using a filename such as 2004.07.03-19.04.30.00_filtered.jpg.

When the option is enabled and the proposed filename is, eg," 2004.07.03-19.04.30", if I click "Save", then I get an error message saying "Specified file type is not recognized. The file should be a JPEG, TIFF, or BMP".

Mind you, I'm happy enough with a workaround since I don't really care what setting I use for "Hide extensions for known file types", but hopefully that will let you reproduce it.

My copy of WinXP Home has pretty-much all the service pack and bugfix updates from Microsoft.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you very much. Yes, with "Hide extensions for known file types" enabled I could reproduce the effect. We will check what is going wrong and how to fix this issue in the newer versions of Neat Image.

Thank you,
Vlad
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This seems to be a Windows bug.

If I open a file called "2006.02.18-18.56.15.80.jpg" in Windows Paint and then go to the menu "File | Save As" then the file save dialog shows the file name as "2006.02.18-18.56.15".

Neat Image also uses the standard file save dialogs like those used by Paint. So, we probably have to disable that "Hide extensions for known file types" Windows option to avoid the issues caused by the bug in the standard dialogs.

Vlad
tvanderh

Post by tvanderh »

Wierd. Under Photoshop Elements the "Save As" filenames work correctly. They must be doing something to work-around the bug.

Thanks for the fast replies. I'll be sure to mention (in a positive fashion) to some of my friends who may be interested in it.