Upgrading problem

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
Anam_Cara

Upgrading problem

Post by Anam_Cara »

I've recently (well, okay - today) bought a new camera and would now have the benefit of upgrading my version of Neat Image from my home version, and I thought that yay, now I can upgrade it to get it as a plug-in in Photoshop as well but now I see, that I can't use the home+ version which is OK, I need to go for the Pro version which is OK, but then I see, that Pro does NOT come as a plug-in. What is it with this? Never have I seen a program come in different "Grades" where a higher version suddenly lacks a feature found in a lower version. Now I'd really like to upgrade but I am not going to go Pro+ just because a flippant feature removal in Pro. After all, I am by no means a pro either, I use Neat Image maybe once a month.

Throw me a bone here, give me something to work with. :)
It's not dying that scares me, it's living.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Why don't you upgrade from the Home to Home+ edition to get the plug-in? Why can't you use the Home+ edition?

Here you can learn how to order an upgrade.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Anam_Cara

Post by Anam_Cara »

Thank you for your quick reply. The point is that I need the 16-bit image support now as well. It seems highly unfair to yank a function found in a lower version, don't you agree?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think it is all a matter of perspective you take when arranging the editions from "lower" to "higher" ones.

Historically and logically, the arrangement is the following:

- the Pro edition is a higher version of the Home edition;
- the Pro+ edition is a higher version of the Home+ edition;

I recommend to decide which function is more important to you at this point - 16-bit processing or plug-in and choose the Pro or Home+ edition correspondigly. Or take the Pro+ edition if you really need both features.

Please note that you only pay the difference, you don't have to pay the full price of the Pro+ edition, unlike you did with your new camera and Photoshop.

Vlad
Anam_Cara

Post by Anam_Cara »

Yes, understood. Thank you for your time. This will however make me take a serious look around for competitive programs before coming to a decision.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

You are right in your approach. And I will just add three more comments:

1) you are a long term user of Neat Image and I am sure you remember that you upgraded from lower to higher version numbers of Neat Image several times for free; I doubt any competitive product will be able to offer you the same;

2) the price of upgrading from the Home edition to Pro+ edition is lower than that of any competitive product of comparable functionality;

3) Neat Image provides the highest quality of noise reduction available on the marker; by using another product you will lose in quality and spend more time learning a new tool.

Vlad

P.S. May I ask which camera have you purchased?
Anam_Cara

Post by Anam_Cara »

All valid comments, and yes I am very comfortable with Neat Image. Thus I've convinced at least 4-5 people to buy it as well over the time (With little effort, except for teasing them with before/after pictures. My wallet is not however. It took me two years to save up for the camera and half a year to get Photoshop. :o).

I got a Canon EOS 350 D. Nice, but in hindsight I'd probably have gotten a Nikon D70S. That's what you get for living in a small town where there's no stores where you can get your hands on to get a feel for the cameras.

The 350 is a bit small for my hands, and the rough black plastic has a rather cheap feel to it. Nevertheless a very good camera for the price and compared to my Olympus C-4000z? Let's never talk about that camera again. :-)

On a side note: I've read about the suggested and thought about RAW implementation in Neat Image and although handy it'd seem to be too much work given all the different RAW standards the camera manufacturers use, especially with the coming Photoshop CS2 which has built in RAW support even (which is basically the Adobe RAW plug-in 2.4 upgraded to 3.0 and included.)

/Johan Karlborg
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Johan,

I have a suggestion. With this new camera that you have, make several nice images for me and I will upgrade your license for free. The idea is to get some interesting images with noise that for instance could be used as examples on neatimage.com.

If you will like this idea please contact me by e-mail (support at neatimage.com).

Thank you,
Vlad