Help needed to install Plugin in Paint Shop Pro 9 - resolved

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
stixbri

Help needed to install Plugin in Paint Shop Pro 9 - resolved

Post by stixbri »

Hi.

I've bought and downloaded the Home+ edition. I can run Neat image standalone but I cannot get it to run as a Plugin in PSP9.

I've read the 'How to install a plugin' and I've tried the following ....

1. Open PSP9.
2. Selected - File - File Preferences - File Locations
3. Selected - File type Plugins and then pointed to the Neat Image folder in Program Files and pressed Add.

Above did not work so I repeated Step 3 though this time I tried adding in the Plugin Folder that's listed within Program Files/Neatimage/plugins. This didn't work either.

Help - what am I doing wrong !!!

Cheers,

Stixbri
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I guess you may simply have plugins disabled in PSP, please check the settings in that "Plug-in file folders" box where you added Neat Image folder. The plug-ins should be enabled there.

BTW, you don't need to manually add Neat Image folder there too. Neat Image installer should automatically find PSP9 and offer to install the plug-in in that editor. Did you see that the installer offered such a choice? Do you have the Neat Image plug-in file:
C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 9\PlugIns\NeatImage.8bf
?

If you do then the only reason why it doesn't work is that plugins are generally disabled in your PSP. Please check PSP settings as described above.

Vlad
stixbri

Post by stixbri »

Hi Vlad,

I've had a look and Plugins is already enabled and I have the neatimage.8bf file in the folder C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 9\PlugIns\NeatImage.8bf

I also have Photoshop Elements installed on my computer and the Neatimage Plugin for that is working fine.

One thing I have just noticed is that in the PSP9 plugin folder, when I doubleclick the neatimage.8bf file Photoshop Elements starts.

Should the Plugin work independantly on both software tools or will it only work with one installed on my PC.

Brian
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It will work in both PSP and PSE.

Were you offered (by the installer) to put the plug-in in PSP and PSE?

Vlad
stixbri

Post by stixbri »

I've just reinstalled Neatimage and it showed the checkboxes with a tick for both Elements and PSP on install of the neatimage software.

Just checked both pieces of software, Elements has the Plugin. PSP still doesn't.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Then it most likely is a PSP issue. Do you have any other third-party plug-ins working in PSP?

And by the way, how do you know the plug-in is not working in PSP?

Vlad
stixbri

Post by stixbri »

I've no plugins loaded in PSP.

I assume that it's not working in PSP as in the Effects section there is a greyed out text that says 'No plugins loaded'.

Any idea why when I go into the PSP Plugin folder and double click the neatimage.8bf file that Elements starts rather than PSP ?

I'm assuming that neatimage is suppose to work ok with PSP9 as that's the reason I bought it.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

stixbri wrote:I've no plugins loaded in PSP.

I assume that it's not working in PSP as in the Effects section there is a greyed out text that says 'No plugins loaded'.
Please try to load some plug-in (something like this free plug-in) to PSP and check whether anything shows up in the Effects section.
stixbri wrote: Any idea why when I go into the PSP Plugin folder and double click the neatimage.8bf file that Elements starts rather than PSP ?
Because you have the 8bf <-> PSE file association established in Windows Explorer settings. This has nothing to do with the fact PSP doesn't load the plug-in.
stixbri wrote:I'm assuming that neatimage is suppose to work ok with PSP9 as that's the reason I bought it.
Yes, it is supposed to work with PSP9, it does work with PSP9 on our computers and you are the first person who experience any trouble with PSP9 not seeing the plug-in.

I would appreciate if you sent me the detailed screenshots of the following:
1) the settings related to plug-ins in PSP preferences;
2) the folder structure of PSP9 and the content of its plugins subfolder;
3) the Effects menu in PSP9;

Thank you,
Vlad
stixbri

Post by stixbri »

Many thanks for all of the assistance you're giving. I appreciate this.

I attach (hopefully) sceenshots of the requested PSP effects display, plugin option settings screen and contents of plugin folder.

Apologies but I'm not sure what you mean by also letting you have the folder structure of PSP9, is that another screenshot of the contents of the PSP9 folder ?

I've tried to load the plugin that you've sent and I'm still not seeing any plugins in PSP9. As you say it's a PSP9 problem, though it's maybe me and I'm doing something wrong as I try to load these plugins.

I've loaded the same plugin into Elements and that's fine and working.

A bit embarassing but I'm not sure how to post a screenshot :) - I was expecting to click on the IMG button and then I'd be able to browse to my folder and insert the link. However I hope what I've done here is correct :) - if not please let me know.

[img]c:/psp9%20screenshot%20of%20plugin%20folder[/img]

[img]c:/psp9%20screenshot%20of%20effects%20display[/img]

[img]c:/psp9%20screenshot%20of%20plugin%20settings[/img]
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please send the screenshots to support by e-mail.

Thank you,
Vlad
stixbri

Post by stixbri »

Thanks for all of your assistance.

In the end the problem was due to the fact that PSP9 needed an update to allow it to use Plugins. JASC have now released a patch and I've installed it and Neatimage is now working fine.

Cheers