Neat Image with other sharpening software?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Alex Ramsay

Neat Image with other sharpening software?

Post by Alex Ramsay »

Is it advisable to use Neat Image's sharpening facility in conjunction with other sharpening software? For example, I often use a degree of unsharp mask when scanning transparencies (Silverfast with a Polaroid Sprintscan 120). I also normally use Nik Sharpener for final sharpening when the image is sized ready for print, and they advise against using any other sharpening system in combination with their product. Does anyone have any advice on this?
Thanks,
Alex Ramsay
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Our general recommendation is to use Neat Image noise reduction before any other post-processing. It is usually ok to use Neat Image sharpening before other sharpening too but it is up to you - you can turn NI sharpening off and only use a third-party solution. I believe the only way to get the best results (that look best to your eyes) is to try both options.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
Alex Ramsay

Post by Alex Ramsay »

Thanks for your reply. A quick test on a scanned medium-format transparency shows that Nik Sharpener simply puts back all the visible film grain removed by Neat Image. Not much benefit there, then!