Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED profile ??

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
linda@thebaldwns.com

Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED profile ??

Post by linda@thebaldwns.com »

I don't have a film camera. I photograph orchids for my client with my 1DMKII, but he has a bazillion slides that were taken before he became my client. These were taken with various cameras, film, and lenses, often at orchid shows by the show photographers. My question: Is the profile for the scanner independent of the camera/film/settings? IOW, could I have him come over with his film camera, take an infinity out of focus shot of the calibration target on my screen, have it defeloped into a slide, then I scan it for calibration?

Thanks,
Linda
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Scanner profiles usually should include the records of film used. The film properties determite the grain properties. Scanner reads the grain, modifies it and adds its own noise so scanner profile should take into account the whole process of preparing the input image to be processed with this profile.

If there are too many slides shot with known film types then in principle you could build profiles for every film-scanner combination your client has. An alternative solution would be to use Auto Profile instead of pre-built profiles.

Hope this helps.
Vlad