Use PS Camera RAW's Noise Reduction first?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
Ed Fink

Use PS Camera RAW's Noise Reduction first?

Post by Ed Fink »

Shooting high ISO night shots with a D70, are there any preliminary adjustments (other than exposure and vignetting adjustment) that I should make with Photoshop's Camera RAW plug-in before I use Neat Image?

I have another question that I probably should start a new topic for, but I'm here now, so:

Should separate profiles be done for each lens?

99% of the time I use a Sigma 8mm on my D70 (I do 360 degree panoramas), and with a fisheye it's pretty hard to fill the frame with ANYTHING. :)

So I'm wondering if I should switch to a different lens to make my profile, or will that affect my results? Would my fisheye's vignetting adjustment in PS's Camera RAW screw up the results?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Different lens usually do not require different profiles, I think one set of profiles will be enough for both lenses.

Regarding adjustments that can be done before Neat Image, I think most of them can be used as long as you include these adjustments in the cumulative device modes of profiles built and used with such adjusted images.
Some adjustments are not preserving the uniformity of the noise (e.g., vignetting adjustment) so it is best to be done after noise reduction.

Hope this helps.
Vlad