Auto profile matching problem with files from a minolta A1

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
Philippe Crassous

Auto profile matching problem with files from a minolta A1

Post by Philippe Crassous »

I have build profiles from JPEG and "tiff trom raw" files. Whenever i use the profile matcher for a "tif from raw" file, a profile made from a jpeg file matches as long as one exists. When I only have profiles made from raw files, there is a correct match.

I could notice that compression level is not recognized in JPEG files from the Minolta A1. The information do not show when opening the image, neither do they when profiling. (shown neither in the profile name nor in the profile viewer info)

However, the compression info is correctly recognized from "TIF from RAW" files from the A1, (in the profile name and in the exif info textbox)

I had a look to the exif tags with exiftools

The A1 uses camara/imageCompression level only in TIF/RAW files. In JPG files, it uses the Image quality makernote with the following values
3 standard
2 fine
5 extra fine
1 uncompressed

If you need files, let me know and please give a mail.

BTW the noise reduction on the "tiff from raw" file seem to work **much** better than on the jpeg file, even at best quality. (maybe you could emphasize this if it is generally the case) I use minolta raw converter that has no noise reduction.

I use V4.0 on XP SP1.

Thank you for your help

Philippe
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please send me (use Neat Image support e-mail) two profiles: one from a JPEG file and one from a "TIFF from RAW" file. I will check if there is enough information to distinguish them or the only solution is to adjust the matching folder according to current task.

Thank you,
Vlad

P.S. Please get the latest version of Neat Image. v4.0 is quite old now.