Profile not available

questions about practical use of Neat Image
ianperegian

Profile not available

Post by ianperegian »

I have the registered plugin but there is no profile available for the Panasonic FZ3. Am I right in saying that if I use an image that has sufficient featureless area in it then I can generate a profile from that? If I save that profile, would it be just as good to use for other images as one of the "stock" profiles? I found I became rather bogged down in the manual. I think it needs a simplified "Dummies quick guide" at the front rather than all the tech jargon.

Thanks from a newbie.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, if you build a profile from a regular image and save this profile then you can later use it to process other images shot in the same camera mode. However to achieve a bit higher accuracy I advise to use the Calibration Target to build profiles for several camera modes and then re-use these profiles.

When you want a quick and easy profile to process one image - use Auto Profile with regular image. When you want to build a reusable profile - use Auto Profile with Calibration Target.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Ian,

Yep, you can make your own profiles too! The ones you can download from the NeatImage site are (for the most part, I believe) contributions from users like you or me. It isn't difficult to build a high quality profile, if you follow the instructions. You should try building and saving one, just to see what the process is like. Once you have it down, you can crank out your own custom profiles, and perhaps even submit the FZ-3 ones to the NI site so other users can benefit from them.

NeatImage 4 comes with a batch profiler too, so you can crank out dozens of shots of the calibration image (shot with different settings), and sit back while NI produces individual profiles for each setting. I must have five or six dozen custom profiles for my camera... that's how easy they are to make, once you get the hang of it. ;)
NeatImage Pro Plus 5.0 + dual Opteron 244 + Windows XP SP2 + FreeBSD 5.2

Post by Guest »

Thanks, Taob and Vlad for your help.

I will build up my own profiles and save them to use.

It seems to work very well so far - I've tried it on several outdoors images and the details seem to be retained and I can get "flawless blue skies" to print from high ISO shots!

Ian