Congratulations to Neat Image!

questions about practical use of Neat Image
RanKep

Congratulations to Neat Image!

Post by RanKep »

Just wanted to be the first to post a hearty congratulations to the Neat Image group for all their hard work in creating this unique and much needed product for the Mac community.

Also, for what it's worth...Vlad...the release that I downloaded and installed on my G5 is substantially faster than the BETA version. Any reason why? My times have gone from 72-75 seconds to 20-24 seconds! Unbelievable!

Best wishes with your new release!
2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 10GB RAM, 512 NVidia Grahpics card and (2) Canon 5D's.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you very much for the kind words!

We were working on the Mac version for quite a while and I am glad that finally it is here, available for download. That is an important step for us, and it is a new start of our work on improvements. We have been depeloping the Windows version with a lot of support and feedback from people, and we are going to do the same with the Mac version.

I am also glad the new version works faster on your system. In principle, we never stop working on speed improvements so what you see is a normal results of this work. I hope we will be able to further improve the processing speed in the next versions.

All our team members are happy we have done it right now. And of course there is a lot of work ahead.

Thank you once again,
Vlad
Proxy

Post by Proxy »

A huge thanks from myself as well. I've been waiting for this for ages and it's great to see it finally come about. Bravo :D

No problems with it.. runs great on My iMac G5 (17" 1.8Ghz version with 1gig RAM if it's of any interest)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you very much! :)
Dave Creek

More Thanks

Post by Dave Creek »

A few hours ago I downloaded the Mac demo version and tried it on a particularly difficult photo. WONDERFUL results!

I immediately purchased and installed the Pro version.

Thank you for providing us Mac users a NeatImage version for our very own. :D
Jim Scott

Good Job!

Post by Jim Scott »

Hello Vlad, Proxy, & the rest of the NeatImage team!

Thank you for supporting the Mac!

I have yet to use the full pro version (I'm just now bought the plug-in) but the noise reduction demo version was very impressive.

A few thoughts:

1) You guys are not charging enough... I know this is the Intro period but I would hope you would raise the price to US$69.00 after this time.

2) You need to define terms for people sooner in your PDF manual - such as "high frequency" - which is first defined in the FAQ. Also no where in the PDF do you discuss what the YCC model is (say in comparison with the RGB model)... many users may not be familiar with with these terms.

3) I would urge you to focus on the PhotoShop Action capability. My professional interest is interactive VR panorama projects. When on a job a panographer may shoot 1500+ images per day. Unlike "regular" pro shooters we have to deal with scenes with huge dynamic ranges in the full 360 - often with very limited time frames (no luxury of putting gels on the windows, or waiting until the light is just right for that one shot, etc.) And unlike the regular pro-shooters we need to process every image to get the project done - no "hmmm... I like that one" - bracketing & processing 6 to 9 images for every single discrete shot. Depending on the lens FL that means between 56 & 250+ images per VR.

The immense value of your plug-in for shooting VRs is that now I believe (based on what I have seen from your demo) just 3 to 6 images will be required to capture most VRs full dynamic range - underexposed images can be popped & sharpened like never before.

Again thanks for supporting the Mac community...I will spread the word about your excellent program (with more to come I'm sure).

And since it seems we're doing the "guy" thing here:
Mac Dual 2.5/5.5 Gig Ram/23" HD Cinema Display/Chrome Muffler Bolts
Jim Scott

Demo Version

Post by Jim Scott »

One other thing...

I realize you need to protect your intellectual property but the "upper left corner" approach is not ideal from my point of view. I would rather have watermarks all over the image - or better yet being able to select the 1024 x 1024 portion that is processed by NeatImage.

The challenging part of an image that a user might have (handily) lying about will not necessarily be in the upper left corner.

Just a thought.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for your kind words and useful feedback.

Let me make several comments.

1) Yes, we will increase the price but we want that to come together with more features.

2) I agree with you on this point, we are currently working on further improvemetns of the documentation.

3) Action support is on the top of our to do list so I expect it to become available before everything else that will be added.

one other thing) Yes, "upper left corner" is to limit the functionality in Demo but I am sure you realize that you can easily process ANY image area you want with the Demo. Simply select this area and then crop it from the big image. And process the crop in Demo. In this way you get a clear before/after comparison of up to 1024x1024 pixels large crop without any annoying crosshatch or even worse - a watermark that would mask the noise reduction effect. Probably we should give a hint about cropping..

Thank you once again,
Vlad
Jim Scott

RE: Demo render

Post by Jim Scott »

In this way you get a clear before/after comparison of up to 1024x1024 pixels large crop without any annoying crosshatch or even worse - a watermark that would mask the noise reduction effect.
hmm... how obvious! But I guess that's why you get paid the big bucks.

Probably we should give a hint about cropping..
lol -Yes, especially for people like me who are a little slow on the draw!
nsfbr

Post by nsfbr »

This seems to be the place to give thanks and praise, so here goes. I took my time to get the paid version and am glad I have. I was one of those people who was very discouraged by the time it took to get out the Mac version, I still question the time it took, but as a small business owner I understand about priorities somewhat. Not happy about it, but I do understand.

Anyhow, it was worth the wait. The tool works like a dream. I'm looking at an image shot with my D70 at ISO1250 Raw, then pushed +1.0 stop upon opening of a night scene with neon lights and details in the shadows. This is pretty much the hardest kind of thing to noise reduce - any kind of noise either luminance or chromatic just ruins the image, and there is noticeable detail that if lost gives a plastic almost cartoonish quality. I love being able to play around with things to get it just right.

Thanks.

Perhaps the best aspect of the plug-in in my view is the ability to use it in the normal photoshop workflow, e.g., using layers, magic wand, etc. That way I can really knock out any noise in low detail areas, a little less in moderate areas, and just touch things up in areas of importance.

I can't wait for more speed and features, because like all customers I'm greedy. :D Thanks again, it was worth the wait and the money!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Yes, the time was too long and it was our fault because it could be shorter.

On the other hand, the Mac version of Neat Image has been very popular since the release and so we are actively working to release the next version to provide even better integration with Photoshop and enable more features originally introduced in the Windows version some time ago.

It is really great that our hard work is welcome. All members of our team appreciate that.

Thank you and happy New Year!

Vlad