Crazy, I know but ADD noise....

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
Typeboy

Crazy, I know but ADD noise....

Post by Typeboy »

I've just purchased NI (on the spot from seeing the examples on the webite), and I must say it is an incredible application!!! Terrific product has saved many very nearly destroyed pictures that my old noisy digicam took. Aside from my photography, I also do 3D graphics and many people prefer the look of noisy images (film-look) It'd be swell to remove the noise, compose in my 3D elements, then re-apply the noise to the new image. I very nearly bought grain-surgery to do this very thing, but always held off because I thought the grain reduction was weak!!! If it were to become an after-effects plug-in (my number one wish list feature) adding back grain from an analysis would be wish #2.
-james darknell
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. Yes, re-applying noise is a possible extension of our noise reduction engine and it could be implemented. Another your suggestion is a very good one too and I think it will be possible to implement.

Thank you for your feedback,
Vlad
dstaver

Post by dstaver »

Another vote for this feature!

I use Grain Surgery all the time to add grain to my images. I often remove artificial looking digital noise with Neatimage, then add some more natural looking grain back into the image with Grain Surgery.

I also find that I can do better sharpening with less artifacts by removing more noise than I think looks good, sharpening, and then adding some grain back in after sharpening.

Here's the specific features I would want from Grain Surgery:

1. The ability to sample grain from any photo and store the data as a grain profile.

2. Apply grain from a profile to an image.

3. Adjust the strength of the applied grain separately for shadows, midtones, and highlights.

4. Adjust the overall strength of the applied grain (in addition to the individual values for shadows/midtones/highlights)

5. Adjust the size of the grain.

6. Adjust the aspect ratio of the grain.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for your comments and suggestions regarding adding noise/grain. I am taking your suggestions to the NI wish list.

Thank you very much,
Vlad