Moire reduction question

questions about practical use of Neat Image
WiesiekP

Moire reduction question

Post by WiesiekP »

Hi!

NeatImage is realy great at removing noise. Recently I have tried to use it for moire reduction (using an image from Nikon D70 camera). Unfortunately the results so far are not as good as I would like them to be... Has anybody tried to use NI for such a task? Any suggestions how to set the various parameters? The main problem seems to be that the areas covered with moire pattern cannot be used for producing a profile - at least not automatically.
Wiesiek
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I guess a good starting point would be a sample photo that shows the moire effect and also contains flat featureless areas to build a profile. Could you post a link to such image here?

Thank you,
Vlad
WiesiekP

Post by WiesiekP »

Here you are:

ftp://ftp.ipipan.gda.pl/wiesiek/NI/dsc_0166.jpg

Thank you very much for an immediate response, by the way :)
Wiesiek
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, this is not noise and moreover it is uniform so by definition Neat Image cannot remove it efficiently.

What you can try is to open this image in an image editor, convert RGB to Lab, manually select the trouble area and clean the a and b channels. This will make the image look less fancy in the area, though the jacket may still look a bit unusual.

Vlad
WiesiekP

Post by WiesiekP »

Thank you very much for your time. I' tried to use NI for something it is not meant for - I agree. I shall try to use your suggestion and see what I can achieve. Even if I look at the RGB channels separately the moire pattern is visible on R and B channels only - the G channel is perfectly clean. So maybe...

By the way - Nikon Capture has a moire removal filter . People say that it does a reasonable job and works in most cases. Unfortunately NC is quite expensive ($99) and has a lot of other functionality which I am not particularly interested in. Maybe with your knowledge of image processing you could make a small tool specialized in moire removal? I am pretty sure that there is a market for it (moire is a "fact of life"in digital photography and may occur on a picture taken by any digital camera). If the price was right I would buy such a tool immediately.

Thank you once again!
Wiesiek
pinobot

Post by pinobot »

u could make a selection of the jacket and take out the color, then colorize the selection.
Ok, its not so well done, but it's not my picture. :lol: