OK I need you to clear this up...

questions about practical use of Neat Image
spiritman

OK I need you to clear this up...

Post by spiritman »

We recommend using the YCrCb JPEG color space to process color images in Neat Image.
bottom of page 20 in the book.

OK I always use Raw in my D10. But you say to use JPEG? Or am I missing something's!!! :shock:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It says YCrCb JPEG working color space in Neat Image, not JPEG file format. The working color space internally used by Neat Image and file format (JPEG, TIFF, BMP, RAW - whatever) - are not the same thing.

The point is the "YCrCb JPEG" working color space is recommended when you process RGB color images.

Vlad
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

As long as we are talking formats. Why cant I save my batch output's in the photoshop .psd form? Maybe this is a patch comming down the road?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

What would be the added benefit of saving into *.PSD as compared with *.TIF?

Vlad
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

I guess I am a photoshop nut? Its just the format that I always use. Is this a possable patch?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Such a patch would require a lot of extra work and I am sure it will add very little to what is already possible with the TIFF format. TIFF is fully supported by Photoshop, it is perfectly standard. PSD is proprietory and non-standardized. If Adobe changes PSD format we will have to track their changes. TIFF is better in this respect. And Photoshop doesn't care what to open - TIFF or PSD.

BTW, you can save batch output in *.PSD if you use Neat Image plug-in within the Photoshop batch facility. I am sure you know how this facility works.

Vlad
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

Thanks Vlad. I'm using the batch in the plugin mode. Just dont need PS hog'n all that mem. I think I need to go back to using Tiff's! I was thinking that there was a layer compat problem. Or maybe with the layer comps feat. of CS. :idea:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you process images from a digital camera using Neat Image and this is the first postprocessing step after the camera then the images you have before Neat Image are always single-layer JPEGs or TIFFs. After Neat Image, you also receive single-layer TIFFs. Photoshop has no problem opening such image files. You open such a file just like a PSD file and what you see is a single layer image in Photoshop.
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

OK workflow= from D10 Raw in photoshop - to .psd - then NI - and then back to PS for edits.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Then using the plug-in seems to be the best choice. - You will not need to save an intermediate file; the image can go directly from the 1st (RAW conversion) to the 2nd step (noise reduction) of workflow.

Also, if you do RAW conversion in batch, you can add noise reduction in the same batch as well. So everything will be completely automated.

Vlad
spiritman

Post by spiritman »

Yea I was just try'n to not have PS running to give NI all the mem. & horsepowr it can use....
Thanks Vlad. Feel's good here. I'm a newbe!!!