LZW with TIFF files... Soon?

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
probegt93

LZW with TIFF files... Soon?

Post by probegt93 »

Now that the patents are expiring on the LZW compression, will we see this in the software? I am looking forward to this so I can save a good amount of space.

Thank You,
Tom
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It is possible. We have several items in our current to-do list and will consider whether to implement LZW support in the near future.

Vlad
Trevor Morris

Post by Trevor Morris »

Oh, I too would really like this! I save all of my TIFFs as LZW compressed (due to smaller file size), but I have to remember to resave them as uncompressed TIFFs for use with NeatImage.
Cheers,
Trevor
Leo

Post by Leo »

I would like to add my vote to this also. I store all files as LZW tiffs and it would be nice to open/save them as such from NI.
greenboy

Post by greenboy »

PNG with its six filtered/compressed options (as long as you are in 24-bit or less) is nice too : }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<
andewid

Post by andewid »

greenboy wrote:PNG with its six filtered/compressed options (as long as you are in 24-bit or less) is nice too : }
PNG support at least 16bits per channel, including the alpha channel. That would mean 48 or 64bits per pixel.
linux-works

Re: LZW with TIFF files... Soon?

Post by linux-works »

probegt93 wrote:Now that the patents are expiring on the LZW compression, will we see this in the software? I am looking forward to this so I can save a good amount of space.

Thank You,
Tom
I thought the patent was only to restrict ENCODING. decoding was always free, yes?

(the magic, like mp3, is in the encoding/compression. decompression is always easier) ;)

/bryan