no noise no detail...no good!!

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Steve Knott

no noise no detail...no good!!

Post by Steve Knott »

Nikon LS4000 's do noisy scans!

I had some large 55mb scans done recently and they were shocking.
Thinking my one chance at having some work published was ruined, I scoured the Web and found a scanning supremo in the USA who in turn put me onto Neat Image!

What a superb programme. Front cover publishing here I come...

The trouble is , I over did it and after a major noise wash they came out all plasticky looking-with mottled/blurry detail!

I know how I done it ..
Trying to speed up the process, I bypassed the DNP stage soon enough when I found that it just profiled them at the standard default setting, which wasn't enough for the excessive amounts of high level noise in the images.
Why doesnt it automatically profile this high level noise?

The profile viewer helped by giving me a breakdown of the various noise types and their ratios relative to each other but how do I translate this data to the adjustment of these noise levels? What do these figures mean ? Help please on this bit!

These scans, which I would like to send you (small sections of ) also need to be cleaned and dust removed because the lab didnt use the ICE setting at the scanning stage. Do I do this first before using Neat Image in say photoshop ? Wont this cool the noise but cut more detail?

My publisher wants noise free detail full files for big posters!
It seems every image needs a different setting even tho they were all done on the same scanner??
How can I get efficient at this please? Ive got loads to do!!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Steve
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The fastest probably would to follow this section of the user guide.

Use Auto Profile to build a noise profile, do not go into more complex procedures in the beginning.

When the noise profile is ready, go to Filter Settings and adjust filter settings for every individual image component (channel or frequency) according to the preview results shown in the Component Viewer. See the above section of the user guide for details.

Remove dust before noise reduction, since dust/scratch removal usually is a hardware-based operation best done before software postprocessing.

Vlad