Profile matcher broken in 4.2?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
neatfreak

Profile matcher broken in 4.2?

Post by neatfreak »

I've had it all working with 4.0 and updated PS CS: I installed 10D Camera Raw profiles from Neatimage web site, selected the right path in preferences, and NeatImage plugin would automatically select the profile for the right ISO and show EXIF data.
After upgrade to 4.2 nothing works: if I click on Profile Match button, I get a dialog saying that no profile matched. If I go into preferences and set "Input Device" to "ignore", it loads a profile, but ignores ISO completely, only loads ISO 100 even if I tell it that ISO must match. :cry:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I believe there is a confusion. - The profiles for Canon 10D Camera Raw from NI webpage do not have any EXIF details, so they would not work with Profile Matcher in both 4.0 and 4.2.

You probably used some other profiles when Profile Matcher worked. Please check that.

Vlad
neatfreak

Post by neatfreak »

Interesting. It seems that what was happening is this:
I have PROFILES folder and in it I have "BB Profiles", "ACR Profiles" and other folders, each with its own profile. NeatImage 4.0 was finding the BB profile instead of ACR profile, for the same ISO, but to do so it was searching subfolders of PROFILES folder, so I never noticed.
4.2 does not want to search subfolders: it will match a BB profile if I set the profile path directly to "BB Profiles" but it won't do anything if profile path is set to PROFILES.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This is strange and may be a bug. We will check this.

Thank you,
Vlad
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I could not reproduce this.

I used two sets of profiles - BB and ACR - located in TEST folder. When I set "Matching device noise profile folder" to \TEST\Canon_EOS_10D_RAW_BB\, Profile Matcher selects a profile from this set. When I set the "Matching device noise profile folder" to \TEST\, Profile Matcher selects the same profile from the BB set. Profiles from \TEST\Canon_EOS_10D_RAW_ACR2\ are not selected (in the latter case) because they have no information about ISO (or any other EXIF data).

Vlad
neatfreak

Post by neatfreak »

I tried it several more times, it seems that there is a strange interaction between the path set in Tools->Preferences and the path which NeatImage used to load last profile. If the remembered path, the path which NeatImage goes to when I click on the "read profile" icon (left of the pulldown list and the "select best profile" icon), is set to BB folder, then it'll match the best profile from BB folder, no matter where the Preferences path points to. However, if I load a profile from ACR folder manually and thus reset the remembered path to there, best profile matching stops working.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I manually changed the open folder to \TEST\Canon_EOS_10D_RAW_ACR2\ before using the Profile Matcher and it found the correct profile from the BB set anyway.

In Options, do you change

- Options > Profile Matching > Matching device noise profile folder

or

- Options > Folders > Profile folder

?

Vlad
neatfreak

Post by neatfreak »

I have
Options > Profile Matching > Matching device noise profile folder
set to PROFILES
and
Options > Folders > Profile folder
set to PROFILES also.
In PROFILES I have these subfolders: BB profiles, ACR2 profiles from NeatImage site, my own ACR2_custom profiles (these have EXIF data), and JPEG profiles from NeatImage site.
Here is what happens: I manually open ACR2/iso400 profile to reset stored path, the listbox shows "ISO 400" and the working colorspace just below it is "YCrCb JPEG". I click on the Profile Matcher icon, Working colorspace chages to RGB. Sometimes listbox changes to ISO 100, but not always, I could not figure out what exactly it depends on. No exif data appears below. If I click on "Open device noise profile" icon, I'm now in PROFILES/JPEG folder, not PROFILES/ACR2 folder.

Now I change
Options > Profile Matching > Matching device noise profile folder
to PROFILES/ACR2_custom
and click on the best profile icon, I get one of my own profiles, this time EXIF and device name appear where they should be, and everything works fine.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Looks like the three sets of profiles with EXIF (BB, JPEG and ACR2_custom) compete in Profile Matcher and sometimes it selects a profile from JPEG when a profile from ACR2_custom is needed. JPEG profiles are in RGB color space so this just a sign of selecting a profile from a wrong set.

Could you send me one of your ACR2_custom profiles - I want to check whether there is enough information for Profile Matcher to distinguish them from JPEG profiles.

Thank you,
Vlad
neatfreak

Post by neatfreak »

NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Looks like some of the profiles from this set do contain information about RAW converter used (Software: Adobe Photoshop CS Windows) and some do not. You can see this in the device mode details. If the information is present then Neat Image is able to tell ACR-converted images from JPEGs. Please check what difference in the workflow or in the settings of RAW converter makes it save or skip information about itself. Once all profiles contain data about converter, the profile matcher will be able to find correct profiles.

Vlad