Making Camera Noise Profiles

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Benesesso

Making Camera Noise Profiles

Post by Benesesso »

Today I took a bunch of photos of a uniform blue sky at various ISOs and JPG/TIFF settings. Can I use these instead of the calibration target--which I have downloaded? By using the blue sky photos I don't have to be concerned with geeting good photos off the monitor (no glare, etc.). But of course the color is blue, not grey--does this matter?

If the sky shots are a good way to proceed, should I use the "profile maker" set to calibration target or do I set it to a "regular photo"--ie, does the cal. target profile maker need to work with grey images?

And, if I can use the sky images, how can I make the sampling square bigger? I might as well sample a big uniform area, right?

Thanks,
Dan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Most likely the images of the sky will not provide enough information for Neat Image because they will not cover the whole range of brightness like the Calibration Target does. So, you will most likely receive profiles that have a lot of 'yellow' marks - interpolated values in the equalizer.

The color content of the images is less important.

If you use the sky images, use "Auto Profile with Regular Image" because "Auto Profile with Calibration Target" only works with the target images.

Yes, you can use as large sampling areas as possible - that will make analysis more accurate. However, my advise would be to use the Calibration Target to cover the whole range of brightness. If monitor glares are the problem, consider printing out the target.

Vlad
Benesesso

Post by Benesesso »

OK, no sky profiles.

I will take photos of the cal. target off my monitor. I assume I can store them as ONE camera profile (like ISO 100). But do I have to take the full set of cal. photos for every camera setting I may use--meaning TIFF and JPG, at different image sizes too? That will mean taking MANY shots! Hmm, maybe that's why some people just use the "published" camera noise info---.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Maybe. But building your own profiles provides higher accuracy anyway, because every camera is different and workflows are different too.

Consider the most important camera parameters only - ISO rate, compression level, sharpness adjustment. You can find the list in the user guide.

Vlad
Benesesso

Post by Benesesso »

Took photos of the cal. target off the monitor at 3 diff. ISO's. Tried to "build profile", but the blue "sampling square" only sampled the center grey area. Now what? Am I supposed to move it around to every diff. square on the photo? If not, then how does it measure the diff. grey/black/white areas of the photo? The user guide doesn't say anything about this, other than to say something about NI will "automatically"----.

I am lost.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It has already done everything automatically if the equalizer has green and yellow values. You pressed the button, Neat Image did the rest - it found and selected a noise-only area and automatically analyzed it. The profile is ready.

Vlad
Benesesso

Post by Benesesso »

>Consider the most important camera parameters only - ISO rate, compression level, sharpness adjustment. You can find the list in the user guide. <

Vlad,
I see that the "sharpness adjustment" is of fairly high importance. My camera (Olympus C-2100 UZ) has 3 setting, but now I am only using the "soft" one. But I have many photos that were taken at "normal sharpness".

I don't see the sharpness amount listed in the EXIF data. I have photographed the cal. target using both sharpness setting, but how can I tell if the .dnp files have any sharpness data in them?

Does it really make much difference, since the cal. target is photographed out-of-focus anyway?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please check (using your EXIF viewer application) whether the camera writes the sharpness adjustment parameter to the EXIF data. If it does and writes the parameter to the standard location in EXIF then Neat Image will be able to read it.

Sharpness adjustment does make a difference, because stronger sharpness adjustment makes noise stronger as well, irrespective of the focus.

Vlad
Benesesso

Post by Benesesso »

Vlad,

I'm not sure what is meant by an EXIF viewer appl., but I am fairly sure that my camera does NOT record the sharpness data. Fortunately I can probably figure out which setting was used, because I had set the camera to "Normal" for about 4 years of use and only recently changed it to "Soft".

Thanks, Benesesso