Auto profile or use a downloaded profile?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Pmatt

Auto profile or use a downloaded profile?

Post by Pmatt »

In batch mode, am I going to get better results if I tell Neat Image to auto-profile each picture, or if I let it use the matching ISO profile I downloaded for the camera?

I certainly don't mind the extra processing time of auto-profiling if that is what gets the best results.

I have a Nikon D70 if that makes a different.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Everything depends on the images you process. If they have enough flat featureless noise-only areas so that Auto Profile could build an accurate profile from them then auto profiling would provide the most accurate results. Otherwise use auto matching (probably accompanies by auto fine-tuning).

Vlad
CVTJan

Post by CVTJan »

Hi,
If they have enough flat featureless noise-only areas so that Auto Profile could build an accurate profile from them then auto profiling would provide the most accurate results. Otherwise use auto matching (probably accompanies by auto fine-tuning).
Is there a feature available that the program detects automatically in Auto Profile if there are enough flat areas ? and if not start the auto matching by itself ? Would be great for batching in PS CS :)

BTW what happens if a picture with no flat areas gets auto profiled ? Real bad result ?

Thanks in advance!
Yours Jan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

No, there is no such a feature yet and thank you for the suggestion!

If an image with no flat areas is used for profiling then the resulting profile will not be accurate and the output image will lose some important details.

Vlad
CVTJan

Post by CVTJan »

Hi Vlad,

thank you for the fast response :)
When do you think will the feature be available ?

Yours,
Jan
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We will have to consider some related issues before implementing it. It may be not so simple as it seems. I am not going to promise a specific date but if we decide to implement it then it will probably be available within one of the nearest updates.

Vlad
omero

Post by omero »

NITeam wrote:We will have to consider some related issues before implementing it. It may be not so simple as it seems. I am not going to promise a specific date but if we decide to implement it then it will probably be available within one of the nearest updates.

Vlad
It would surely helps a lot with the quality.

Most users don't know about flat area, auto-profile, auto-finetune or whatever.

An "automatic" mode where NI decides automatically if it's better to use a prebuilt profile, or if it's better, quality-wise, to build a profile for that specific image would surely rock, since it will allow to get better looking pictures in the end, both for the newbie and for the power user.

Can't wait to see this implemented in the next versions of NI, and I seriously hope you find a proper way to make it work properly :-)
CVTJan

Post by CVTJan »

Good luck with the work on it :)
Yours,
Jan
fvdheide

Post by fvdheide »

I completely second that! It would be a huge improvement in this already highly sophisticated peace of software!