High-ISO and Neat-Image - auto additional settings?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
miqk

High-ISO and Neat-Image - auto additional settings?

Post by miqk »

Quick ?

I have a zillion images, and I always like to process them in batch automatically with the least manual work I can. I have a Sony F828, and the noise is horrible at ISO800. I have used a profile for the f828 iso800 image on NeatImage 4.0, however the noise still stays there. I've discovered if I set both Chroma noise values from default %25 to %60 or so, and bump up the NeatImage Y/Luminance NR from the default %60 to %80 or so, the noise is gone.

My question is, is there any way to load custom noise filtration settings on TOP of the ISO800 noise profile in order to achieve more noise reduction? And do all of this automagically in the Photoshop NI 4.0 plugin? Thanks! btw, im using photoshop 7.0.

michael c.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, there is a way to specify your own filter preset (a set of filter settings) both in batch and in a photoshop action.

To learn how to specify the preset in batch, see this section of the user guide.

To learn how to do this in PS plug-in, see this section.

Hope this helps.

Vlad
miqk

Post by miqk »

Thanks for your prompt reply, but let me further describe my question:

Basically I will have a bunch of different ISO photos, 100, 200, 400, 800. I want to process them with a Noise Profile that I already have, however I want a DIFFERENT filter setting associated with the ISO800 filter, since my NI PhotoShop plugin filter has a Y Noise reduction of %50, but instead I want to increase the Y to %80 or so for ISO 800 photos only.

See my issue? Is there anyway, aside from separating my ISO 800 shots from the ISO100/200/400 shots, that I can process ALL my photos in one pass? That is what I am asking specifically.

If not, is there a "hack"? Can I perhaps modify my ISO800 profile I downloaded and perhaps bump up the noise settings in the profile itself (and not the filter) so that when my %50 Y Noise Reduction filter associated with my PS action runs, it will behave as if it's doing like %80 Y NR?

Thanks!!

michael
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

No, I would not recommend a hack in this case, because noise reduction amounts in filter and noise levels in noise profile have different meaning.

At the moment the only way to assign different presets is to manually separate ISO800 images from other images and to prepare two batches - one for ISO 800 images with filter preset you want and one for other images with the default preset.

In the future we may add some means to make this kind of preset selection more convenient.

Also, I advise to make sure the ISO 800 profile you use is accurate. Otherwise you may solve that extra problem of selecting alternative filter presets when the default preset could work well provided the ISO 800 profile was accurate.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
andewid

Post by andewid »

migk,

Why do you not make your own profiles for the different ISO levels? I found that the noise profile for the Nikon E5700 on NI website is not the same as the one I made from my camera.

Make your own profile and get much better results.
miqk

Post by miqk »

I just tried my own profile (printed it on my photo printer), and tested again. I had previously created my profile via pointing at my monitor, you see, but this time I tried to seriously do it properly.

The results were quite good. I think I WILL create my own set of profiles now.

I guess I shouldn't make assumptions on the quality of the profiles on the website :)

Anyways thanks for all the help.
andewid

Post by andewid »

It is not not that the quality is nesssesary worse or better with the profiles on this website, but that each sensor, even between the same model of cameras, can have different noise charasteristics.
jafent

Post by jafent »

Try the AutoProfile feature in 4.1. It has saved me a load of time already.

I use PS CS to Batch process the images. I am coming into PS from RAW files, so by batch processing, I cannot make any adjustments to exposure, etc. But, if I have an image that I really want to tweak, I can go back and do it manually.

Before 4.1, if I made adjustments in my RAW importer, I was changing the noise profile, which would throw off my pre-built profiles. With AutoProfile, it doesn't matter.

John