Neat Image Color space and Adobe RGB (1998)

general questions about Neat Image
Chip

Neat Image Color space and Adobe RGB (1998)

Post by Chip »

I am using PS CS and have chosen Adobe RGB 1998 as my default working color space. I wonder what happens, when I have my images processed by NI - are they being converted into the NI default JCrCb JPEG space (is this comparable to LAB?) and then - after porcessing - back again into my color space? Since all color spaces have different gamuts, will this conversion not degrade my image? Why is NI not providing the Adobe RGB 1998 color space to avoid conversion - I believe, this is the color space Adobe recommends to use for optimal fine printing results.

Also, what is the RGB color space in NI?

Many thanks indeed!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

NI assumes the input image is in an RGB color space. It then converts it to the working color space (YCrCb by default) to reduce noise. When the filtration is completed NI converts it back to the original color space.

If your input image is in Adobe RGB 1998, then NI output will also be in Adobe RGB 1998 color space.

From the standpoint of color management, you don't have to worry about color spaces as long as you work with variants of RGB color space (sRGB, Adobe RGB, etc.).

Color space conversion in NI is necessary for efficient noise reduction. The conversion is very accurate, there is no loss due to that.

Vlad
andewid

Post by andewid »

Color space conversion in NI is necessary for efficient noise reduction. The conversion is very accurate, there is no loss due to that.
I hope it is better (more precise) than the one in Photoshop which is very poor due to not using 32 or 64 bit floats during conversion.

NI does not need to be as fast in its colour conversions so using full 64bit floats during conversion would be best =)

I have a question regarding Gamma. Some images I have are in RAW format with linear gamma (1.0). They look great in Photoshop, but loading them in NI causes it to fail to recognize dark parts. However, for brighter parts the noise reduction seem to be much smoother and give a cleaner result.

Is there a way to enable NI to work with Gamma data?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

NI assumes input images have gamma of 2.2 typical for most sRGB images. To enable processing linear images we would have to make the gamma assumption adjustable. We are considering this possibility.

Right now the only way to accurately apply noise reduction to linear images seem to be using Neat Image after the gamma correction is applied in the workflow.

Vlad