V4.0 opening new profiles

questions about practical use of Neat Image
tko

V4.0 opening new profiles

Post by tko »

Opening some old profiles I get the message:

"Re-building this profile is not possible becasue it doesn not contain am image area necessary for noise analysis"

For other, older profiles everything works fine. Can you explain the difference? I don't understand the message. Do more recent profiles actually contain a sample portion of the image inside them?

I quickly read the new manual, but didn't see any discussion of opening old profiles, which I think would be very important to a lot of people.

Will you get any of the new noise reduction benefits if you import an old profile? Or should we be re-doing our profiles for best results? Once an old profle is imported is there any advantage to saving it again, so that it's saved in the new format?

Sorry if this is discussed anywhere already . . ..
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Starting with Neat Image v2.1, there is an option (turned on by default) to save the area of the image used for rough noise analysis inside the profile.

In Neat Image v4.0, the profile format has changed but to preserve compatibility, we have supported the profile format of Neat Image v2.1-3.1. That means if you open such an older profile in Neat Image v4.0, the software looks for the image stored there and if it finds the image then it can use this image to convert this profile to the new format on the fly.
Also, you can convert many older profiles using Profile Converter.

In any case, converting and using older profiles in new Neat Image is only possible if there is an image area stored in profile. Otherwise, conversion is impossible.

From the standpoint of quality, building a fresh new profile in Neat Image v4.0 is of course preferred but older profiles that can be converted should produce good results too.

If you going to use older profiles, the best way to do so is to convert them all at once using Profile Converter to avoid computation overhead of on the fly conversions.

Vlad