Colour banding problems

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Dave

Colour banding problems

Post by Dave »

Hi,

I've been using the Pro+ plugin in Photoshop 7.0 for a couple of days. My images contain large areas of gradual colour and brightness gradients which when filtered with NI results in quite noticable colour banding. My images are in 48-bit and my display is in true colour (32 bit).

I've added some noise back into the image as suggested in the help file (Tips and Tricks section) to try and get some dithering between the bands of colour, but this obviously is undoing some of the wonderful noise reducion that NI is capable of.

So my questions are, are these bands of colour just the result of the graphics card being limited to 32 bits. If so will there be smoother tonal information from Neat's output than can be displayed on my monitor and will this be printable without banding?

If not and the banding is actually in the output image then how can this be smoothed without putting lots of noise back into the image? My objective is to get perfectly continuous gradual tones in the printed output, on screen display is not as important.

Thanks,
Dave.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Dave,

Please send me (support@neatimage.com) a sample crop of this image (before applying any processing) together with the noise profile and filter preset you use. I will try to reproduce the result on my computer to see what is going on.

Thank you,
Vlad