Problems with scanned photos

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Mona

Problems with scanned photos

Post by Mona »

Hello,

I'm a new user and had a few questions about some photos I'm working on for someone. The photos were take with a disposable camera at a wedding reception. The lighting was dark and the pictures are not that clear. I have scanned the pictures with a Scanjet 6200 and I am using NeatImage to try to improve the output. The results are good but not great. I'm trying to determine the order that I should do things. I've read the suggestions here but they do not seem to deal with a scanned picture. Is it better to scan the picture and then try to editing it in my Photo Editing software and then apply the NeatImage filter? Also, I tried building a profile for just my scanner. I applied this filter first, saved it and then built a profile from the picture data and applied that. Can you apply multiple NeatImage filters with success?

My main problem is in sharpening the detail. I would like to know the best technique to use to accomplish this.

Thanks!
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Mona,

It is best to build a profile specifically for the image you want to clean and then immediately use this profile to reduce noise in the image. Doing this, you will only apply Neat Image noise reduction filter once, not twice as you suggest. If you have many images made and scanned in the same conditions, you can build one profile using one of them and then use this profile to filter every image in the series.

Also, make sure you both build and use the profile(s) before using your Photo Editing software. This should provide more consistent results as compared with using Neat Image after that software.

Hope this helps.
Vlad

P.S. While the forum is great, I highly recommend our official user guide. Please read it at least once, this will clear many questions and save a lot of your time.