comparing two NI profiles

questions about practical use of Neat Image
tko

comparing two NI profiles

Post by tko »

First of all, thanks for all your prompt answeres. They are really helping me learn. Soon my questions will die down!

I wanted to know the easiest way to compare profiles to find out:

1.) How different they are. For example, maybe I don't need that many profiles if the results are similar, so I can throw out some profiles and simplify. I was thinking of trying different shutter speeds and seeing if the profile varied - if they don't, then I don't need to profile shutter speeds any more. But, I don't know how to tell if the profiles vary significantly

2.) How much more noise was in the original image that was profiled. For example, if I wanted to know how much noisier a ISO 400 image was than an ISO 50 image is there a way to get a qualititive reading from NI?

I'm not sure if I can look at the equalizer settings or anything else in NI and get an idea of how much "work" NI has to do to an image.

Maybe a future version can have some kind of an output that indicates some of the above?

thanks again
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The Profile Viewer is the answer. :) Use the Ctrl-I shortcut.

The Profile Viewer provides quantitative estimation of noise in every channel and frequency component of the profiled image.

Vlad
tko

thanks!

Post by tko »

That's very cool! Does exactly what I wanted and more. I just overlooked that. The only improvement might be if it would print or save to a file, but I can just record the results manually for later use and comparision.