WOW... version 3.1!

general questions about Neat Image
taob

WOW... version 3.1!

Post by taob »

I just made the jump from version 2.2 to 3.1 on my laptop (recently upgraded to Photoshop CS too, so I went around refreshing everything else). My jaw dropped when I experienced how fast the latest version is now! I think I went from about 7 minutes for a 6-megapixel 10D image (800-MHz P3, 256MB) to 2.5 minutes. Incredible!

Now I need to find something else to complain about, and update my signature file... :D
NeatImage Pro Plus 5.0 + dual Opteron 244 + Windows XP SP2 + FreeBSD 5.2
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you, taob. I am glad someone has noticed the speedup. :-)

Vlad
taob

Multithreading?

Post by taob »

I noticed that the changelog mentions HyperThreading and multiprocessor support in the batch queue. Does this mean all CPU's will now be used by NeatImage? Thus if it normally takes 2 minutes to process one image with one CPU, it will now only take 1 minute? Or does it do 2 images at once, taking a total of 2 minutes for both?

So if I am getting 2.5 minutes per image on an 800-MHz P3 CPU, I should expect to see 19 seconds per image on a dual 2.4-GHz HT P4 system (3x increase for clock speed, 2x increase for number of CPUs, roughly 1.3x increase for HT)? Boy oh boy oh boy... :)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Neat Image now can use multuple cpu's in the queue - it will process more than one job in the queue at the same time. If you have a large batch then on a SMP and/or HT machine the jobs in the batch will be processed in parallel thus reducing overall processing time. You will not see this effect on a single image.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Yep, gotcha... so basically what I will see is multiple images all in the "processing" state. Mmmmmm... with Capture One, Photoshop CS and NeatImage all running, I should invest in a quad CPU machine! :lol:
Rick Bruce

Post by Rick Bruce »

Damn, beaten to it!

Being a user of NI since 2.61 I just want to thank the team for improving something that was already unbeatable.

I no longer need to upgrade my PC, this new version is so fast its unreal! How did you do it?

R.
taob

Post by taob »

No longer need to upgrade your PC?!? Sacrilege!!! :shock: As I was telling a co-worker recently, there is currently no hardware that exists that satisfies what I want (perhaps only what I need, but not what I want :wink:). I'd like to be able to spend my time adjusting my raw conversion parameters, hitting "go", and watch Capture One and Neat Image together produce a finished, noise-free, profiled 16-bit image in a couple of seconds. Then it will real like real time editing. :D

I figure in four or five years, hardware and software will have progressed to a point where that is possible with 10D raw files. However, by then, we will probably be working on 24-megapixel files with full 48-bit RGB sensor data at each pixel, and I'll be making this same post again. :D
Rick Bruce

Post by Rick Bruce »

Well, maybe not totally but for a while at lease :)