NI and ICC profiles in TIFF files

general questions about Neat Image
Agarfig

NI and ICC profiles in TIFF files

Post by Agarfig »

Testing NI I found it cannot handle ICC profiles in TIFF files. I always see the image unprofiled when loaded in NI. It is bad, because I work with liner gamma TIFF images, that appears too dark when unprofiled.
Also, if anywayI try NI on those images, it produced a terrible banding in the darker parts of the image. It seems that NI work badly with linear gamma images, that in fact are the real output of any digital device.

It is planned a solution for this?

Thank you.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I think the fact the ICC profiles are not saved is the result of using a limited edition of Neat Image. Normal editions do preserve the metadata including ICC profiles.

Which edition and version do you test?

Thank you,
Vlad
agarfig

Post by agarfig »

Thank you for your reply.

I did not say ICC profiles were not saved, they were, but NI do not use them; the image displayed is the one without the profile, although it will be saved with the ICC profile. For images with a gamma of about 2.2 applied this is not a problem, bit for raw linear digital images from scanners or professional digital cameras it is, and a big one. I cannot use NI at all with them, which is a pity.

I tested the current demo version, and a friend that has the full pro-version also obtained the same results than me. I think it is real limitraion of NI.

Alvaro
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, current version of Neat Image is mostly oriented on processing images in sRGB (and similar) color spaces with gamma 2.2.

We are considering adding support for other gamma values in the future versions of Neat Image. So, thank you for the suggestion.

Best regards,
Vlad