Profile for E20N? also question about test target

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
QT

Profile for E20N? also question about test target

Post by QT »

I want to know if different lighting situations (when taking a shot of the test target) will effect the result of a profile? Also if there's an Olympus E20 profile created, I'd love to have a copy. Thank you all very much.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The influence of lighting situations is secondary.

There are no Oly E20 profiles on neatimage.com yet. You can be the one who will prepare a nice set of profiles for this camera.

Vlad
Bill McKelvie

Post by Bill McKelvie »

I have just uploaded an E20 profile, although it's only for the basic spped of ISO 80.
Bill.
dvz

Re: Profile for E20N? also question about test target

Post by dvz »

QT wrote:I want to know if different lighting situations (when taking a shot of the test target) will effect the result of a profile? Also if there's an Olympus E20 profile created, I'd love to have a copy. Thank you all very much.
It's been my experience with my E-20 (which I like very much, btw) that under exposed images or parts of images contain much more noise than properly exposed images. Different lighting situations are not nearly as important as proper exposure within that lighting situation. Longer exposures do create more noise... particularly noise in darker areas of the image.

I will frequently tweak the lower 3 sliders up progressively in each RGB channel on my profiles. I also most frequently use the Filter Preset in the drop down menu:" Retain natual image look" and use "Remove only half of weaker noise (keep more details)".

I've noticed that my ORF images converted with Adobe CR contain "cross hatched" artifacts when viewed at over 100%. If you shoot ORF I would suggest that you profile a converted target as well.
DVZ
Olympus E-20
Bill McKelvie

Post by Bill McKelvie »

The noise in underexposed parts of the picture is an inevitable function of the gamma curve - more gain, therefore more noise is added to lower luminance levels. This effect will happen with all digital cameras and is unavoidable.
Also, increrased noise with longer exposures is an inevitable CCD effect, but this can be reduced by shooting in the noise reduction mode. Again, because of the gamma curve, this effect will be more noticeable in low light areas.
willym

Post by willym »

Bill McKelvie wrote:I have just uploaded an E20 profile, although it's only for the basic spped of ISO 80.
Bill.
Bill, is this profile for RAW, TIFF or JPEG images (or does it make any difference)?

Thanks,

Bill Morse
Bill McKelvie

Post by Bill McKelvie »

It shouldn't really make a difference - the profile is applied after the image has been decoded into RGB for processing, so should be valid for all formats. Of course, Raw has to be converted to TIF or some other suitable format before processing.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Don't forget that JPEG introduces additional noise - compression artifacts, while TIFF does not.

Vlad
willym

Post by willym »

Bill McKelvie wrote:It shouldn't really make a difference - the profile is applied after the image has been decoded into RGB for processing, so should be valid for all formats. Of course, Raw has to be converted to TIF or some other suitable format before processing.
Thanks Bill. Can this profile be successfully applied to higher iso images, or would that require addition profiles?

Bill Morse
Bill McKelvie

Post by Bill McKelvie »

It may have some effect, but ideally a different one should be used for each film speed. I'll try to do them soon.