mac - os x only?

general questions about Neat Image
timauger

mac - os x only?

Post by timauger »

will the much-anticipated version for the mac be compatible with mac os 9?

a lot of people have not made the change to os x. because it won't run their software.

Tim
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

This is not yet clear. The compatibility is a complex issue and we will have to test the software on different platforms before saying it will be compatible. BTW, what about Apple, do they still support os9 and people who develop software for this os?

Vlad
craiger77

Post by craiger77 »

Over a year ago Steve Jobs declared OS9 to be dead and buried. Don't expect any support from Apple in developing software for it. Most OS9 software will run fine under OSX using what Apple calls "Classic" mode. OSX is the future and I wouldn't waste to much development time on 9. I just hope to see the OSX version of your software soon!
Avon B7

OS 9 vs OS X

Post by Avon B7 »

I'm very interested in seeing Neatimage come to the Mac.

However, from a developers point of view it is hard to justify creating an OS 9 version. OS X is now nearly 3 years old and the great majority of OS 9 users out there are going move onto OS X in the short term. This is a shame for OS9 users in this particular case but OS X really is the way to go.

A Cocoa version with the necessary optimisations for both the G4 and the G5 would be wonderful.

I hope it arrives sooner rather than later.
cameraguy

Post by cameraguy »

Hi, I signed up just so I could post to the question. I think that if you exclude OS9 then you are going to be losing a large number of potential clients, namely in the newspaper industry. Should all commercially used macs have OSX by now? Maybe, but there certainly isnt a need for it on most of them. If all you're running is photoshop, browsers, and an email client it doesnt make sense for a company to buy individual (or even sitewide) liscenses. I know that in the immediate 60 mile radius surrounding me, there are 4 30K circ. and up newspapers, 1 60K+, and several smaller dailies and weekly's. For at least the biggest six in this area, none use osx on their input/processing machines. There is simply no need. It would be unfortunate if you decided not to support OS9. I've heard great things about your product and I think there is a lot of money out there from papers using older digicams plagued with high-ISO noise issues. Excluding, in my opinion, a large portion of that market (all the papers around here all all mac on the photo side) would simply be foolish. Sure, the larger papers may be buying G5's and using OSX because they can, but then again they will also be the ones buying the new digicams like the D2H that promise to provide largely noise and artifact free images.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter, I'd like to use your product at work but can't if you don't support OS9.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for your comments.

The latest news from our developers is the new version will most likely run on both OS9 and OSX.

Vlad
Avon B7

Any news on the release date?

Post by Avon B7 »

We're now in Q1 2004. I was wondering what the current status of the Mac version is.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It is in the beta-testing now. As soon as there are any news we will make an announcement.

Vlad