Alpha Chanel Problems

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
Robert Price

Alpha Chanel Problems

Post by Robert Price »

When creating an alpha chanel to perform edge sharpening in Photoshop, flattening the image, and saving as a tif, Neat Image will not open the flattened tif because of an alpha chanel error. This is rather disconcerting. Is this something that can be corrected in the next version? I can always perform my edge sharpening after noise reduction, but that is rather counterproductive. doc
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Neat Image doesn't open tiff WITH alpha channel. If it doesn't open tiff without alpha channel, that may be a bug and we will surely fix it as soon as we are able to reproduce the issue on our computers. I will try to.

If your concern is caused by the fact that NI doesn't open tiff with alpha, then the best solution to this will be a new plugin version of NI, which will directly work with masked images in PS.

Vlad
Robert Price

Plugin Release Date??

Post by Robert Price »

It appears the new plugin will resolve my problem. Any news on a release date?

doc
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We will conduct beta-testing next month. When all potential issues will be resolved it will be released.

Vlad

P.S. It is still not clear: what what the problem - presence of alpha channel in TIFF?
Robert Price

Alpha Channel Problem

Post by Robert Price »

I could send you a small tiff file where I created an alpha channel for edge sharpening if you wish and email me with place to send the file.

price_bob@prodigy.net

Thanks
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you, I just wanted to know what was the cause of the trouble. I know that NI doesn't open TIFFs with alpha channel, but I do not know whether it was the presence of the alpha channel in your TIFF that did not let NI open and process it. I thought there could be another problem with the TIFF data structures or something.

If it was just because of the alpha channel then it is ok (NI works according to specifications). If because of something else then we would have to take a deeper look to find a potential bug.

Vlad