blotchy skin in OLD photos...............

questions about practical use of Neat Image
susan mc

blotchy skin in OLD photos...............

Post by susan mc »

will NI work to smooth out the blotchy skin that so often apears in very old photos?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Do you mean something like this:
http://www.neatimage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121

Thank you,
Vlad
susan mc

image inside.....

Post by susan mc »

NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Ok, here is a result of 5-min work in Neat Image:

Hope you like the result.

Vlad
susan mc

That looks terrific............

Post by susan mc »

and I'd be a buyer if I could use it on my MAC.

how much longer will I have to wait?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

We are planning the Mac version for the third quartal but you can run Neat Image in Virtual PC on Mac right now. You can try this with Neat Image Demo.

Vlad
tropikatz

Suggestions for restoring old photos with NI

Post by tropikatz »

Vlad, that is amazing what you were able to accomplish with NI on the antique photo of the woman. I just purchased NI and do alot of work on old photos like that one. Are there any tips you can give me to move me in the direction of correcting them? Is this all auto or did you tweak the settings? If you tweaked, in what area should I concentrate any changes from auto?

Thank you
Karen
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

The key is to select the right image area for Auto Profile. It is good when it contains visible noise, no details, belongs to middle brightness range, large. Try to build profiles using different areas and check filter preview with default filter settings. You will see that the most important is the right choice of the image area for profiling.

Vlad
tropikatz

Post by tropikatz »

Thank you for the tips. I will follow them. Also, can you tell me when restoring an old photo such as the one above, at what point in the steps of restoration should I introduce Neat Image?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

I don't know which steps you use so I would be guessing anyway. Why not use it in the first step? - Usually we recommend to use Neat Image as the first step in a workflow when processing images from camera and scanners. I think the same approach would work with restoration. On the other hand, there are no real limitations, it can work anywhere.

Vlad
tropikatz

Post by tropikatz »

Wow, you are fast on the replies! Appreciate it. Well, with restoration, there is setting the contrast using levels or curves, cleaning up the spotting, removing staining, etc. I will try using NI first and will also ask on the Retouch Pro forum about it as that is where I first heard about your product.

Thank you
Karen