Support for RAW file formats. (Maybe incorporating dcraw.c?)

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
cogitech

Post by cogitech »

NITeam wrote:Dan, all your points are correct. However, people who made the suggestion about RAW support hope that RAW conversion and noise reduction can in some way be "combined" so that the overall result of such a combined process would be better than in the case of consequent conversion and noise reduction. While the feasibility of such a combined process can be debated, people hope that its benefits would overwheight all the points you listed. That's why the suggestion is here. What we can do is to estimate its feasibility and potential benefits. And we are doing this in our time scheduled for research. Hopefully we will be able to answer whether the suggestion can be applied, at least in principle.

Thank you for your comments and arguments.

Vlad
Please see my post regarding a request for a Neat Image Plugin for Bibble, as I think it relates directly to this train of thought. A plugin would be easy to write and Bibble would handle all the RAW file formats, and the rest of the "RAW issues."

This wouldn't, of course, solve anything for users of other RAW software, but plugins could be built for those apps as well (as long as those other developers are willing to provide a plugin interface, as the BibbleLabs team has recently.

Vlad, please continue this conversation with Bibble. I think very many people would be excited to see this happen.
ej.photo

Post by ej.photo »

Vlad already knows my views on this.
Just wanted to add my support for this.
I'm sure some arrangement with D. Coffin (dcraw author) could be made and would save a considerable amount of duplicated effort.
We can but hope :D